Today Was The Day

BFG

Today Was The Day

Post by BFG »

I solo'd today. Mentioned it on Discord and Keith suggested I post it here as well. Using PE made me appreciate the seriousness of flying by the book and went a long way in helping me make a very deliberate decision to pursue my Private. Thanks Keith, the controllers, and the PE community for helping me become a better student pilot. Next step, written exam.
Marcus Becker

Re: Today Was The Day

Post by Marcus Becker »

Congrats! That's a great compliment and I wish you the best of luck in your training.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Soloing an aircraft is a huge milestone. Congratulations! I'm happy to hear that PE helped get you on the path!
John Bakelaar

Post by John Bakelaar »

Congratulations. That's a great feeling.
AeroEng

Post by AeroEng »

Congratulations bud! Did you get your shirt tail signed?

I'm actually surprised you just soloed, I watch your YouTube videos all the time, I would've figured you have soloed a long time ago with your ability to fly the airplane!
BFG

Post by BFG »

AeroEng wrote:Congratulations bud! Did you get your shirt tail signed?

I'm actually surprised you just soloed, I watch your YouTube videos all the time, I would've figured you have soloed a long time ago with your ability to fly the airplane!
Thanks. Shirt tail signed and cut off. Now hanging on the wall at the FBO with the others.

Long story short on the solo: I tried to get my Class 3 last August but the FAA needed more information from a cardiologist for something I was diagnosed with in college (turns out I don't have it, BTW). By the time the paperwork, scheduling, testing, and more paperwork were done, I didn't get my medical until January. Then my CFI got sick, so I needed to get put through the paces by a new guy, then a few hops cancelled for weather, etc. etc. Bottom line is that my CFI said, "I'd solo you today if you had your medical" after 14 hours of flight time. I didn't actually do the thing until 27. I'm glad to have it done.

Thanks for watching the vids, too. Glad you like them.
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Bummer on the medical/other hurdles that prolonged you pre-solo training. 27 hours to solo hurts. I hope that the extra time was used effectively by your second CFI. Nothing worse than just boreing holes in the sky just to satisfy the new CFI.

I had to switch CFIs twice in my primary training. First was when my first CFI last his medical due to a new medicine he was put on and the second was because that CFI did cargo flights as a side job and, well, bought the farm taking off of Chicago Midway. By that time, my first instructor had gotten his medical back so I finished with him. Luckily for me, it didn't impact my overall time to get my ticket. I had 43 single engine hours the day I did my checkride.

Here's hopeing the rest of your training runs a little smoother. :D
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
AeroEng

Post by AeroEng »

Aaah that's a bummer, when I got my PPL my parents made me pay for all of my flight training myself, I was in high school at the time, so I could only work part time. Well lets just put it this way, I completed my check ride in 46 hours, but it took me well over a year because I could blow a whole months worth of minimum wage for about 4 hours of flight training lol. I'm happy to hear you got that medical, and got your completed your solo, now onto your check ride =)
BFG

Post by BFG »

My CFI had his medical issue literally just before the lesson where I was to solo, so fortunately the new guy (who is very good) gave me the equivalent of a check ride, followed by pattern work, and then we soloed.

As for the delay in my medical, we plowed through the curriculum. I'm up to cross-countries and night work, so we just pushed all the solo stuff to the end. Now I can plow through that, get in my remaining dual lessons, and start taking tests ...