Integrated ATIS for Pilotedge

onevim

Re: Integrated ATIS for Pilotedge

Post by onevim »

Thanks Keith. Looking forward to it!
sono

Post by sono »

This is one of the few areas that need improving for sure.

Flying a long IFR trip you dont know which runway is going to be use, so you cant plan your approach ?
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

sono wrote:This is one of the few areas that need improving for sure.

Flying a long IFR trip you dont know which runway is going to be use, so you cant plan your approach ?
http://myflightroute.com/atisplay.php?
Kyle Sanders
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:
sono wrote:This is one of the few areas that need improving for sure.

http://myflightroute.com/atisplay.php?
Didn't even realize this existed. I was using the weather from Active Sky 16 knowing it is real world weather and thinking it would be the same.
Licensed Pilot since 1978
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The value of myflightroute is that it gives you insight into the runway that is likely to be in use whereas I assume ActiveSky has no earthly idea about what goes into selecting the active runways at towered airports.
sono

Post by sono »

Thank you Keith. Ones PC is dedicated to the simulation so having to fire up another pc or laptop to open a website somewhat breaks the simulation experience if you dont mind me saying

Pending the longer term fuller integration could the plugin at least support pulling the info from that website audio within the plug- itself, for example an additional plug in menu option that has a drop down list of pilot edge airports and plays the atis for the one selected => while not integrated with the radios this would at least still be within the simulation per-se ?

I know you are an experienced IFR pilot and part of IFR is procedural planning to keep ahead of things of which getting the atis and planning the arrival are key parts to that IFR regime.

By the way I fly xplane 11 with weather configured to match real world - in that case is there any reason why xplane airport weather would be different to pilot edge (appreciating the atis letters wouldnt be in sync) or could you have the situation you are flying in xplane in a snowstorm with a northern wind and in pilot edge atis the weather is sunny, 25 degrees c, light southerly winds (and the airport staff are having ice creams etc) ?
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Sono, I would just use the XP ATIS and ignore the rwy in use, then see what you get when speaking with the controller, or make an educated guess based on experience. You'll soon learn that, for example, SFO lands 28L/R unless it's howling from the north or east. LAX is west ops unless it's howling out of the east. SNA is 20L/R unless it's howling out of the north. SAN uses 27 unless it's blowing hard out of the east or it's low IFR and they need the ILS RWY 9.

Many of the WUS airports aren't so tightly clustered with other fields and they swap runways to align with the wind a bit more freely than the examples I listed above.

That said, we're not far from being able to do a PE ATIS in the sim, we've made some progress. We'd have to suppress the XP ATIS, though, and it's unclear how we're going to do that, short of asking Austin to make it something we can toggle via the SDK.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

I could imagine offering a universal ATIS frequency similar to using 122.00 with Active Sky Next on FSX/P3D, which works on any airport.
The PE plugin would then need to choose the ATIS message to be played by comparing the users lat/long with the nearest airport.

That would of course compromise the real world feel to some degree, but I think it would be easier to implement.
kullery

Post by kullery »

Matthias Geiss wrote:The PE plugin would then need to choose the ATIS message to be played by comparing the users lat/long with the nearest airport.
In many places (especially within ZLA) the “nearest airport” would be the wrong airport when picking up the arrival ATIS. I experimented wih something like that when I attempted to build a web page that would “auto select” the ATIS based on your reported position.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
sono

Post by sono »

Keith Smith wrote:That said, we're not far from being able to do a PE ATIS in the sim, we've made some progress. We'd have to suppress the XP ATIS, though, and it's unclear how we're going to do that, short of asking Austin to make it something we can toggle via the SDK.
While that would be great, in the meantime and pending XP SDK change, did you see my suggestion above, just to be clearer:
You mentioned that the P/E atis is available on the web here: http://myflightroute.com/atisplay.php

So I am suggesting that the xplane Pilotedge plug in is enhanced in a simple way : to have a drop-down listbox of just the airports with atis supported by PilotEdge => so that in flight the user would go to xplane plugins menu - choose Pilotedge and then pick the airport from the new drop down list box and it plays the atis ?

I appreciate that isnt integrated with the aircraft radios - but it is better than the second pc to browse the web to that url on..

I think my suggestion is relatively easily coded in the plugin api ? This would be a stop gap pending the fuller solution you mention which may still take some time.
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8