BORDER7 Departure from KSAN not for piston?

Thomas_Horn

BORDER7 Departure from KSAN not for piston?

Post by Thomas_Horn »

Yesterday I filed an IFR flight plan from KSAN to KLAS with my piston Duke. I filed the BORDER7 Departure, JULIAN transition. When I asked for clearance I was was advised that the BRDR7 DEP is not approved for piston engines, but only for turbojets. I studied the plate carefully, but could not find any hint that it is not suitable for pistons, especially for high performance aircraft like the Duke. How can I figure out that the departure is not allowed for a specific type of aircraft? I thought it must be mentioned on the plate?
X-Plane 11.32, Windows 10, 4.8 GHz 7700K, 16 GB RAM. 4K 55'' Screen resolution with Nvidia GTX 1070. ELITE and PFC flight controls
Marcus Becker

Re: BORDER7 Departure from KSAN not for piston?

Post by Marcus Becker »

There are simply some procedures that are locally prohibitive to certain aircraft classes. It isn't anything to concern yourself with. This has been discussed many times regarding procedures out of Las Vegas as well.

I would like to comfort you by saying that if you get a route amendment it doesn't mean that you did something wrong, necessarily. There could be several reasons your route gets changed. Maybe a controller has a bunch of aircraft on a particular route and it would be quicker to put you on a different airway. Maybe there is a local restriction you aren't aware of. It's not a big deal in those instances it's just part of the IFR process to be flexible.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

I've flown this departure in the real world in an SR22 so I'm not sure what the problem was with the controller on PE. Granted, SoCal threw us on a 170 heading as soon as they could, but that was only to get us out of the way of the jets departing behind us, but I don't think there is any issue with props flying it.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

I was the controller. I asked the pilot to standby as I thought there may have been a restriction. I didn't find one nor confirm with him that there was. However, I assigned a heading on departure anyway simply for the reason Kevin mentioned. The pilot wasn't going to be on it anyway.
Thomas_Horn

Post by Thomas_Horn »

thanks guys for the clarifications!

Thomas
X-Plane 11.32, Windows 10, 4.8 GHz 7700K, 16 GB RAM. 4K 55'' Screen resolution with Nvidia GTX 1070. ELITE and PFC flight controls