I6 clarification question re ILS VOR RWY (vor only portion)

pkofman

I6 clarification question re ILS VOR RWY (vor only portion)

Post by pkofman »

I was reading the i6 briefing and at the end of the SNA ( ILS or VOR RWY 20R ) approach explanation before the transcript portion it says. (I reviewing the part about vor only . no ils )

" at or above 1040 and then 44' until the filed is in site ) bit when i look at the chart the 440 ( dual vor) and 1040 ( single vor )are for different equipment and npa specification.
If i had read this ( and unless i had 2 vor ) as in the lower portion of the chart i would have maintained 1040 and descend below this point.
If i had 2 vors i would descend to the criteria in accordance with the lower boxes on the plates if equipped with 2 vors.

I assume that the I6 outline assumes that there are 2 for onboard.

I am probably incorrect and missing some nuance..
Correct me please

Peter
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
Ryan B

Re: I6 clarification question re ILS VOR RWY (vor only port

Post by Ryan B »

I haven't done the ratings in a long time but the approach plate gives the lower mins if you have two receivers OR DME. That's all that matters to go down lower in my view. So it looks like you can descend to 440 after dyers with 2 recivers or with DME if you're flying the localizer only approach.

Edit : ok this is the I6 - why are you looking at the LOC only mins? You're following the glideslope down to 255 ft. That's it.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
pkofman

Post by pkofman »

Yes . my comment was not about how to fly the I6 per se on an ILS . I understand that requirement. . I was interested in what the I6 brief said as a backgrounder and I agree with you on the interpretation on the 2 receiver option if so equipped. You comment confirms my understanding.
Thanks Pete
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Regarding the duality of the minimums, it's all comes down to having an ability to know when you're reaching DYERS. If you have GPS, DME or a second VOR receiver, then you're able to identify DYERS. If not, then you wouldn't be able to identify DYERS without ceasing reception of the localizer while you check for the SLI radial on the one an only VOR radio that you have. It's not legal to discontinue receiving the navaid that's provides course guidance once you're on the final approach segment (although it IS allowed on the intermediate and initial segments).

Hence, two sets of minimums.