Ran out of Gas - NEmergency

Travisweathers

Ran out of Gas - NEmergency

Post by Travisweathers »

I learned a valuable lesson today.

So today I took off IFR from KCHD to KMYF (Montgomery) via N8115Q. The whole flight was smooth and uneventful. I flew the long tedious route and started to get the ATIS for KMYF.
I was told a heading to fly as I intercepted the requested ILS 28R. As I was coming to the intercept, I realized the VOR had a flag. I double checked the frequencies and checked my other VOR. Nothing, but thought maybe it was because of my angle to the localizer. I briefly heard the morse code and never heard it again. At this point, I accepted the cleared ILS 28R. Mistake #1.

As I flew, I realized I need to get out of this so I requested delay vectors to double check some issues with my VOR. The controller asked if I had a visual and I was flying real weather and was still above the clouds and had no visual. Advised no visual. She canceled my clearance and started vectoring back around asking about the RNAVV 28R approach. This was a great idea and I set up for the RNAV 28R. As I set this up, I was still confused on why this was not working, then I took a look at the NOTAM for KMYF and it read, "ILS/Localizer Out of Service" Wow. I didn't even read the NOTAM before this flight. Mistake #2

Now, I began to descend and fly the approach. Suddenly, I couldn't hold altitude and I was confused. I put in full throttle and realized I was not getting any more than 1500 RPM. Then it clicked, I never checked my gas. Mistake #3.

I noticed a "lower" than normal gas reading but thought it was "normal." I was able to pop out of the clouds and get a visual for 28R and realized...I'm not going to make it. Went to the ABC of emergency landings; airspeed, picked a landing place, and communicated and squawked 7700. I turned right since there was an "empty" field and I wouldn't have made it over the neighborhood before the airport. I landed the plane.

This all was not planned. It was funny how this was all simulated but I was stressed and struggled on the radios as this emergency happened. What an amazing learning experience for me. I feel bad for the ATC that had to deal with me but did a great job!

How do emergencies work with Pilot Edge? It happened so quick and I had no idea if I had to do anything after I crash-landed the plane.

Anyway, I figured I'd share this and would love thoughts you guys have. Don't make my mistakes but man I'm glad to have experienced this. Best money I've every spent is on Pilot Edge.
Ryan B

Re: Ran out of Gas - NEmergency

Post by Ryan B »

Interesting. Did someone custom fail the localizer for you? First I've heard of a notam being relevant in PE (other than the runway change at SNA).

I've had a few serious sim emergencies myself.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
C177pilot

Re: Ran out of Gas - NEmergency

Post by C177pilot »

That's a great experience. I am also interested how it was that the LOC being out of service on your sim matched the real-world NOTAM. Does PE have a way to control that? I don't think so. I'm guessing your sim database was not in sync with the real-world. That happened to me often before upgrading to XP11.