Western US Upgrade v2 Roadmap

not rhys

Re: Western US Upgrade v2 Roadmap

Post by not rhys »

Say a WUS subscription only person is flying KSFO-KPHX over ZLA, and they declare an emergency and need to land in ZLA. Is this allowed or would they be booted from the server when passing FL180?
Student pilot, EICK
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The server will automatically disconnect them below the cutoff altitude (still deciding what that's going to be). It's not an action that a controller takes, it's purely done by the server. There are many reasons for doing it that way, the least of which is that we really don't want to be discussing it on frequency. By your example, you could just declare an emergency any time you felt like popping into ZLA. It's not a bullet proof solution, nor would it allow us to have a consistent, easily-understood policy.

In the case you describe, you would handle the emergency offline once below the cutoff altitude.

Other than failures I've issued on the scope to a handful of x-plane-based customers, the number of random emergencies requiring a diversion has actually been very low, so I don't think people will be inconvenienced by this on any type of regular basis, and if they are, then there is always the option of subscribing to both.
Tim/Rodeo314

Post by Tim/Rodeo314 »

Makes sense :)
PurdueKev

Post by PurdueKev »

Just wanted to say thank you, both for the expansion plans and also for setting up a stand-alone subscription option for WUS. Consistent sim performance has always been a real challenge in large portions of ZLA for me, especially in P3D; WUS opens up a much better performing set of options in terms if sim fluidity and performance. To be frank, the combined subscription requirement prevented me from taking advantage of the WUS expansion, because I couldn't justify added cost of subscribing to ZLA just to obtain access to WUS.

Again, thank you! This is great news!
Kevin Jaeger
Rural MD (Washington, DC area near KFDK)
PE V-3
My Alphabet Challenge results
not rhys

Post by not rhys »

Thanks Keith, makes a lot of sense. I can't wait for the expansion of the expansion, and, if I may, my two requests for new fields are KSQL and KAPC.
Student pilot, EICK
uncertifiedpilot

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Great news :-) Curious about what Western expansion flyers, who are new to VFR/IFR flying and have no ZLA access, will have for the CAT ratings as a substitute for training. The Western expansion standalone product might isolate customers from the CATs/I's, or not? Will the present CAT/I-ratings be accessible to the expansion customers or a requirement to fly the expansion or will the expansion offer its own CAT/I-ratings?
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

not rhys wrote:Thanks Keith, makes a lot of sense. I can't wait for the expansion of the expansion, and, if I may, my two requests for new fields are KSQL and KAPC.
You may not, but thanks for trying :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

uncertifiedpilot wrote:Great news :-) Curious about what Western expansion flyers, who are new to VFR/IFR flying and have no ZLA access, will have for the CAT ratings as a substitute for training. The Western expansion standalone product might isolate customers from the CATs/I's, or not? Will the present CAT/I-ratings be accessible to the expansion customers or a requirement to fly the expansion or will the expansion offer its own CAT/I-ratings?
If pilots want to utilize the training program, it's recommended they start with the ZLA subscription first to go through those programs. There are no plans to implement a WUS-only training program at the moment. There is a new recurrent training program in development as we speak which will feature a new scenario every month, but it will only be available to those with a combo subscription.
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

There is a new recurrent training program in development as we speak which will feature a new scenario every month, but it will only be available to those with a combo subscription.
Oh great that sounds like WUS Expansion 3.

Can't wait.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
Sam

Post by Sam »

This is great but I have a complain!
I'm based in Reno and for a long time I was waiting for the expansion rotation thing to come back to Reno when suddenly today I checked the website and saw there was a news update on May 16! and I just found about it today June 21! :cry:
So my suggestion is please have a mailing list for these big news and upgrades. How else I was going to find out about this? I almost never check the website! :|
Thanks for the expansion though :D

Also, can you explain the "WUS subscription only" thing more clearly?

Thanks again