Question about "Departing towards the... "

luckyb52

Question about "Departing towards the... "

Post by luckyb52 »

Hi All,

I'm not sure when to say, "Departing straight out" and when to say, "Departing to the South"...

Here's the scenario. I'm lined up on R29 at an uncontrolled airport. My destination (and course) is to the South. I plan to climb straight out to 1000' above TPA, then turn left and join my course. Do I say, "Departing straight out" or "Departing to the South"?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Regards

Lucky :)

////////////
Scott Medeiros

Re: Question about "Departing towards the... "

Post by Scott Medeiros »

The purpose of the CTAF is to communicate your position and intentions to other aircraft in the airport area. Remember, not all aircraft flying into an uncontrolled airport have, and are not required to have 2-way radios, much like the PilotEdge Drones.

That being said, it is good practice and important to safety that you do monitor the CTAF and make clear position reports. In your example I'd say "(airport) traffic, N12345 departing runway 29, straight out, (airport)". This way, if someone is taking off right behind you they won't be confused when you're climbing through pattern altitude straight out when you said you were departing to the south. Then, when making the turn to the south I'd give a report "(airport) traffic, N12345, 2 miles west at (2000'), departing the area to the south, (airport)". This way if there's an aircraft coming in from the south/southwest they would've heard your report and know you're headed their way, and should report their position so you'd know they're coming your direction.

Either way is fine really, just make sure you accurately state your position, altitude if different from pattern alt., and intentions. The whole goal is that every airplane in the area has a mental picture and situational awareness of where all the other planes are and where they will be. Most midair collision happen around airports during nice, clear, day VFR conditions, so remember to see (turn on all lights) and be heard (position reports).
luckyb52

Re: Question about "Departing towards the... "

Post by luckyb52 »

Thank you for that wonderful answer, Scott, much appreciated. I now have a deeper understanding of what to say on CTAF.

Regards

Lucky