the radio outage today

Keith Smith

the radio outage today

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi everyone,

Apologies to controllers and pilots that were online this afternoon during the demo(s) for the Summit. There is a known issue on our drone machine (which is also the voice server right now) that causes the machine to need a reboot every _6 weeks_ or so.

Would anyone like to take a hazard a guess as to when the server decided to take its most recent siesta?? During Summit, of course!

I was able to coordinate with the controllers pretty quickly, who tried to send out PM's to each pilot to advise them of the situation. Everyone's connection to the flight data server remained in tact (separate server) but the voice server went out for a few minutes there.

Doug Dunston made the best of it, I'm told, by squawking 7600 and soldiering on with his approach, non-radar, into LGB. His ability to turn every situation into a real training opportunity is inspiring. At some point in the future, when we're holding one of our annual conferences, I'm sure we'll have award ceremonies where people will receive the "Golden Duggie" for being able to realize magnificent training opportunities in the face of adversity :)

Keith
TheMadDocMD

Re: the radio outage today

Post by TheMadDocMD »

Which of course meant I had to cancel the approach clearance of the Cessna PFC Sim as Doug descended NORDO - - - was a great moment of watching FAR's work... Nice job for making it come together!
MD
Real World Controller
FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) Graduate - Sacramento, CA
FAA Certificated Aircraft Dispatcher