VFR trials and tribulations!

sidfadc

VFR trials and tribulations!

Post by sidfadc »

Hi all,

I've recently converted from FSX to P3D v4. The only payware I have so far is the A2A Comanche and the Real Air Turbine duke V2. Still waiting on Flight 1 to update the GTN750 so I'm stuck with the default GPS which is worse than horrible. So I've been flying these past couple of nights VFR /A with no GPS......and what a breath of fresh air it is! Not really spent that much time VFR apart from completing some of the early CAT ratings, all my energy on the network has been IFR /W or /L.

The night before last I departed VFR out of LAX Class B to Mohave via Pomona, what a fun flight that was although stupidly I thought I would be vectored under the bravo east bound (the shortest route) but the controller basically had me out over the water at 3000 until I was clear of the Bravo off Catalina Island. I was then dropped like a hot potato and told to resume own navigation so I had to climb above the Bravo just outside John Wayne and scoop over the top of the North east shelf. It was pretty awesome flying high over LA above the airspace with no flight following or GPS.

Last night was pretty epic as well. I decided to fly KSBP to KLAX, VFR with no flight following, via FLW and FIM. I've never flew into the Bravo VFR before so wasn't entirely sure what the right procedure was. I called Socal 20NM North west near FIM and asked for a Class B transition destination LAX. The controller established comms, issued me a squawk then ident and I was radar contact. He didn't actually say "cleared into the Bravo" though so I continued on my merryway southbound at 9500. I was totally aware the Northwest shelf was 5000 - 10,000. I'm thinking "its ok Socal will clear me as I approach the shelf". Well they didn't so I did a 360 as to not violate the airspace, I circled twice then called ATC to check. He said I should fly under the Bravo, less than 5000 and then be handed off near SMO. So I descended down but was then sent via the mini route (something I hadn't done before) and had some frantic calls to SMO tower, LA Heli's, Hawthorne and back to LA tower for the clearance to land. What a thrill it was to land in LAX! I'd flown into highly congested airspace as VFR with no GPS and made it in one piece without making a fool of myself! Even the controller said "hope you enjoyed the ride" as I was given taxi to parking.

I must say I've been on the network since November last year, I have only been simming since January 15 with no aspiration of real world flight training due to time and money basically. I just love aviation and simulation in general. PilotEdge has been an absolute game changer for me, I have learned so much since November about navigation, ATC comms, airport rules, IFR vs VFR it's been a pleasure. Thanks for a great service and I look forward to future expansion plans credit card at the ready, its worth every penny.

My only gripe is I would really like to hear from Brits on the network, I know there are a few but its (obviously) dominated by guys from the US. Due to the time zone the network is online from 4pm GMT until the early hours which is perfect for me because I can only get online after 8/9pm in the evening due to family commitments. Either way this isn't anything you can fix but it would be nice to have more Europeans flying. I fly on the network as N2907G.

Thanks all happy flying!