When cleared own nav after Bravo transition? (CAT-10)

uncertifiedpilot

When cleared own nav after Bravo transition? (CAT-10)

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Hi fellow aviators,

I passed the CAT-10 yesterday and much appreciated the clear ATC service throughout. However, I received an instruction/comment by the controller enroute that I do not quite fully understand yet ...

On my way back from VNY to SNA, beyond the LAX VOR, nearing the Vincent Thomas Bridge, the controller said that I had 8 nm to go to get outside of the LAX Bravo and so he asked me what my plans were next. I said I intended to go to SNA for a full stop. He handed me over to the next App controller. As I just passed the Vincent Thomas Bridge, I knew I was clear of the Bravo and that I completed the Coastal transition, so I started my turn and descend towards SNA on my own accord. I switched over to the next controller and announced my intentions to land at SNA. At this time, the App controller instructed me to return to the Coastal route... even though I had passed the Vincent Thomas Bridge already. Only a few minutes later, when I was even further out over the waters, the controller told me that I had still 1 nm mile to go to get outside of the LAX Bravo.

Here's the video recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coXscvc ... t=1h39m55s

(1) Is the southern LAX Bravo sector of the PE controller not similar to that on the sectional?

(2) At what point after having completed any Bravo transition am I free to continue my own nav? When I completed the last 'checkpoint' of the published Bravo transition? Or only when I hear the controller say to me that I am 'Clear of the Bravo' ?

Thanks so much,
Tim
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube
Marcus Becker

Re: When cleared own nav after Bravo transition? (CAT-10)

Post by Marcus Becker »

Look at the sectional and the TAC to see that it even says, "maintain on the LAX123 until exiting the Los Angeles Class B the Vincent Thomas Bridge. Maintain altitude as assigned by ATC."

Being the controller that handled the flight, I can say that you were clear of the Class B airspace when you were handed off to 128.1. Due to traffic saturation, my instructions did come late. However, until ATC states, "Clear of the XXX Bravo", stay on course. Until ATC states, "resume own navigation" or something similar, stay on course. If ATC is late, it's ok to query. I didn't indicate a deviation because (1) there wasn't one and (2) I realized the mistake and due to operations into LGB and SNA at the time, having you on the LAX123R and at 5500' was great benefit to me. That is why I asked you to rejoin the Coastal Route, although I was incorrect when I stated when you cleared the airspace.

I hope that clears up a bit of what you couldn't see. Congestion, timing, fatigue all come in to play and this is what happens. Got to love it when Oshkosh is going on.
uncertifiedpilot

Re: When cleared own nav after Bravo transition? (CAT-10)

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Thank you for the clarification and tips, Marcus. I understand (hoping you'll survive Oshkosh this week #sigh)
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube