How to best approach Bravo airports when VFR?

uncertifiedpilot

How to best approach Bravo airports when VFR?

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing my CAT-11 rating and planning my arrival at SAN.

Initially, I would expect that – as a VFR flight - I could just approach the Bravo from whatever direction and whatever altitude, contact App in time to announce my intention to land, receive clearance to enter the Bravo, and being provided an altitude restriction and perhaps some heading to fly. As with any Charlie.

However, looking at the SAN VFR Fly chart, I spot several VFR flyways that can bring me very near to SAN without any need to enter any Bravo (obviously), which would perhaps be a preferred way to get into SAN.

1) Based on what charts, documentation, or guideline should I plan a VFR arrival at any Bravo field that is preferred by the controllers? Using the VFR flyways? Or getting as close to the field outside of the Bravo airspace? I also could not find any such information in the A/FD.

2) I'm also excited to fly VFR from LAX to LAS some time soon, and from SAN to LAX, and thus have the same questions stated at (1) for those fields.

I would love to learn about a general rule to follow to get into any Bravo airport when VFR that is preferred by the controllers.

Thank you,
Tim
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube
jx_

Re: How to best approach Bravo airports when VFR?

Post by jx_ »

You did exactly what you should have and are good to go. You would be surprised how many pilots get as far as the CAT11 and do not even look at the TAC chart.

"perhaps be a preferred way to get into SAN" --- it is. Watch out for tricky shelves! good luck!
uncertifiedpilot

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Thanks jx_ :-) Passed the CAT-11 without any deviations by the App controller into SAN.

Still, I'd like to know about a 'general principle' to follow for arriving at any Bravo that is preferred by the controllers. Would the rule of thumb be to thus get as close to the airport outside of Bravo airspace, while in contact with App? Around a Visual Report Point on some VFR flyway? Or is there usually some documentation for each Bravo that recommends N/S/W/E VFR arrivals to the airport?
Last edited by uncertifiedpilot on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube
jx_

Post by jx_ »

You're welcome and congrats!!!

That varies by airport and aircraft type. If you are unfamiliar with how VFR operate there I would suggest calling approach while outside the C veil and advise you will be landing at the Bravo airport and would like to know the plan.

"SoCal approach, Cessa 232 Hotel, four zero miles north west of Mission Bay inbound to land at Lindbergh."

Cessna 232 Hotel Socal approach squawk 3333 ident

"squawk 3333 ident and when can we expect Bravo clearance? Cessna 232 Hotel"

Cessna 32 Hotel radar contact 5 miles northwest of Oceanside VOR, expect Bravo clearance just north of Mission Bay, report Mt Soledad.

Or they may give you vectors. It all depends on how they handle it. All jets and large turboprops should expect vectors to final.