Advice for KEPEC5 into KLAS from MISEN

Aviatorbja

Advice for KEPEC5 into KLAS from MISEN

Post by Aviatorbja »

I've flown the B738 into KLAS from KLAX a half dozen times. I love the scenery on that flight and the trip duration is such that there is never a dull moment. Level cruise is about 5 mins.

On every occasion when I've been told to plan for the Visual 01L, despite my attempts at altitude management, I always end up too high and too fast on the approach. Last night I planted it at 180 kts touchdown speed. (this was a no-booze flight too). Last I heard, those brakes are still in the repair shop. The controller usually has me descending to 7000 well before NIPZO which is only 4nm south of the airport. Still, with power at idle and full spoilers I have never been able to get low enough for a stablized approach into 1L. I looked on flight aware and the airliners were using the exact same STAR and arrival runway. How are they doing it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-brian
Brian Andonian
R/W: SEL, Commercial, CFI (expired)
Flight sim: Lancair Legacy, Turbine Duke N723BA
Kevin_atc

Re: Advice for KEPEC5 into KLAS from MISEN

Post by Kevin_atc »

I never had issues getting planes down for that one...however I'm dating us back to the KEPEC3 days. Departing CLARR
on a 070 heading and descending to 7000 always worked fine for me.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
jx_

Post by jx_ »

take a look at the ILS 1L. The glideslope at TRREY is at 7500 14.5nm from the runway, so 7000 works fine down there. Once you're given the heading, speed restrictions on the arrival are canceled until ATC gives you a verbal speed restriction so....

In the jets, try keeping the speed under:
  • - 250KIAS within 40nm
    - 200KIAS within 20nm
...unless you are issued a speed restriction.
At those speeds you should be able to easily manage:
  • - start reduction to VAPP and landing flap extension by 5nm to go
    - at VAPP, landing flaps, and on glidepath by 1000 to go
(VAPP is typically VREF + 5KIAS + wind corrrections)

If ATC has to work you down using the MVA the approach can get even steeper so stay ahead and slow down as you get close to that 5nm mark. Regardless of whether you have a visual approach clearance or not, you should start to reduce your speed and configure your airplane for landing around 7 miles out unless instructed otherwise.
Aviatorbja

Post by Aviatorbja »

jx_ wrote:take a look at the ILS 1L. The glideslope at TRREY is at 7500 14.5nm from the runway, so 7000 works fine down there. Once you're given the heading, speed restrictions on the arrival are canceled until ATC gives you a verbal speed restriction so....

In the jets, try keeping the speed under:
  • - 250KIAS within 40nm
    - 200KIAS within 20nm
...unless you are issued a speed restriction.
At those speeds you should be able to easily manage:
  • - start reduction to VAPP and landing flap extension by 5nm to go
    - at VAPP, landing flaps, and on glidepath by 1000 to go
(VAPP is typically VREF + 5KIAS + wind corrrections)

If ATC has to work you down using the MVA the approach can get even steeper so stay ahead and slow down as you get close to that 5nm mark. Regardless of whether you have a visual approach clearance or not, you should start to reduce your speed and configure your airplane for landing around 7 miles out unless instructed otherwise.

This advice looks good. I'll try again this weekend and see if I can get 1L.

Thanks
Brian Andonian
R/W: SEL, Commercial, CFI (expired)
Flight sim: Lancair Legacy, Turbine Duke N723BA