Ground Speed showing on the map

deansalman

Ground Speed showing on the map

Post by deansalman »

The other day flying the Cutlass I notice that the speed displayed on the PE map showed me faster than what my airspeed is. When I looked at ForeFlight the ground speed was the same as the PE map. Is it just this aircraft not sending out the correct airspeed even though the airspeed and the ground speed in ForeFlight was correct. Not that is a major event but I was wondering if it is just me. I like watching my plane on the map with the laptop and I just notice this. I will look again on the next flight
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
zerofay32

Re: Ground Speed showing on the map

Post by zerofay32 »

Ground speed and airspeed are two different things. Ground speed is the horizontal speed of an aircraft relative to the ground (this is True Airspeed plus or minus any wind component) Airspeed, or more accurately Indicated Airspeed, is airspeed read directly from the airspeed indicator on an aircraft. In a no wind condition, True Airspeed (Indicated airspeed adjusted for pressure and temperature) and ground speed will be the same. Generally, you will always have some kind of a wind component with will make Ground speed different than True (or even Indicated).

The speed readout on GPS Navigator units, Foreflight, and PE is always Ground speed. This does not apply to Glass panel systems.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
deansalman

Re: Ground Speed showing on the map

Post by deansalman »

Ok, now I know. I knew the difference on the 2 so now I know this is just ground speed, thx
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star