ATKNN5 Departure in a Rocket

barcman1967

ATKNN5 Departure in a Rocket

Post by barcman1967 »

Departing KELP in a Challenger 300 and tried (offline) to follow the ATKNN5 SID. Ran into some issues so looking for some advice.

Flight is from KELP to KTUS - off of Runway 8R ATKNN5.FLOGS TRANSITION

As some know, the Challenger 300 climbs like a rocket...here's how things progressed. Admittedly, this was an attempt to strictly follow the SID without any ATC (simulating a climb via the SID)......

climbed heading 085 to 6000 before turning to JAPOD with a speed restriction of 220: had to throttle back as I reached 6000 and pretty much blew the speed restriction and pitched higher and watching for the 10,500 altitude. I reached 10,500 before JAPOD which had me sitting at 10.5 for 22 NM between JAPOD and ZILEK.

First off, am I reading the altitudes correctly and if so, anyone have advice on how to better manage that departure climb in the Challenger? I know things happen fast in a jet, but it seemed way too quick.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Kevin
NyyDave

Re: ATKNN5 Departure in a Rocket

Post by NyyDave »

Your only restriction on that departure is to be above 6000 before turning to JAPOD and below 220 kts over JAPOD. This would be a "climb via SID except maintain X ft" which is where you would stop climbing until cleared higher. That 10.5 is a minimum altitude to safely fly that leg, not a requirement for climbs.
Dave H
DA40 N1708B & BRAV N29EB
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

I think starting at the bottom of this page and working your way up would be of great benefit.
The video that specificaly covers SIDs is the "IFR - Departures Demystified"

http://www.pilotedge.net/workshops

After that, consider working through the CAT and IFR ratings- http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/training ... m-overview

Good luck!
Kyle Sanders
barcman1967

Post by barcman1967 »

Thanks all - great info. And yep, working my way through the CAT ratings. Then on to the I ratings.