ADS-B discussion for sims

Kilstorm

ADS-B discussion for sims

Post by Kilstorm »

So from everything I know, by 2020 all planes in the USA airspace system must have ADS-B out installed. ADS-B in is optional. My first question is will sims try and replicate that? I mean if every plane must have one then it would kinda be like a compass as far as something you see in almost every plane.

The more in-depth question is will PE try and create something like this or does that info need to come from the sim engine? I know with the GTN7 and 6 series, we have that kind of info but really know little about the behind the scene of things on this and would love to hear more about it as a simmer, as a PE member and as a general aviation enthusiast.

Being a Part 107 sUAV pilot, I can tell you that there is at least one drone, the DJI Matrice 200, that already has ADS-B in and can pick up planes that are transmitting an out signal. The maker of that device which is about the size of dime, says they can make an out that could fit also on the drone for planes to pick up but would need to be less power than what the standard FAA power requires are currently. If they can work a deal to have the less power out, it would create a way for planes with an ADS-B in a way to see drones in the local area but not so strong that every drone would be seen by controllers, clogging the system.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
zerofay32

Re: ADS-B discussion for sims

Post by zerofay32 »

On the pilot side, ADS-B out changes nothing. The only change is a new transponder that operate basically the same and every transponder you have ever used. Nothing to really simulate there.
Sims already provide all that is needed for ADS-B in set ups and in fact, if you use Foreflight connected to PE for traffic or display traffic on a Garmin, you are already simming a setup that would require ADS-B in.

As far as ADS-B on a sUAS, that seems pretty useless. If you are flying Part107, you should never be in a situation that would require traffic readout. I think the FAA has already made its point that it does not want to get into the sUAS control business. Unless they revise 107, most UAS operations will either be in uncontrolled airspace or with prior coordination with ATC. My company has already done some flights near a towered airport. ATC only cared about where we were operating and for how long. Unless we were operating on the airport property, we where not going to be any factor flying below 400'agl. We had a handheld radio to contact the tower if needed, but they didn't really care. We had a NOTAM of our AOI and tower advised all incoming and departing traffic. Having a traffic display at our site really wouldn't have helped very much. But to each there own I guess.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

There is a little bit more than that on the sUAV side. First, the FAA has already gone way out of their way to make it a point that a UAV is actually an aircraft. Going from an FAA resource it says

The FAA published Federal Regulation 14 CFR § 91.225 and 14 CFR § 91.227 in May 2010. The final rule dictates that effective January 1, 2020, aircraft operating in airspace defined in 91.225 are required to have an Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) system that includes a certified position source capable of meeting requirements defined in 91.227. These regulations set a minimum performance standard for both ADS-B Transmitter and the position sources integrated with the ADS-B equipment your aircraft.

So that is something that will be a conflict as UAVs are aircraft that will be operating in Airspace. While yes not all airspace will be considered ADS-B airspace. I live on Nantucket which is a good deal out away from other locations and most of the island is Class D. Our Tower controllers and management are very easy going and in fact their is a AMA r/c field less than two miles away from the airport. I have them on speed dial if I plan on flying at 400feet for long periods of time and then call back when I am done but for the most part its all a non issue.

Then there is the whole autonomous flying thing that so many big name companies and NASA are working on to integrate UAS's into the airspace and having seen that they can at least be equipped with ADS-B in that will be a very helpful tool in the step towards safety. So while yes as a Part 107 one should never be in a situation that would require traffic readout, that doesnt mean UAV's shouldnt have them. Redundancy in safety is never a bad thing and more importantly with an out, DJI a leading drone maker, has already hinted at making a system that would allow anyone with a receiver a way to "capture a tail number" which then only law enforcement would be able to identify the owner. Something I am all for.

As for sim, it seems the FAA is moving away from ground radar and more towards a GPS system. Just curious how different those screens are and if they are different would PE follow. I know little if the FAA is looking to move away from transponders since all the info will be there on the ADS-B. Something I would be interesting in hearing more about.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Flying part 91 aircraft is totally different then flying part 107 aircraft (and 107 vs Hobbyist). I have not seen any industry publication state that the FAA intends to have sUAS aircraft comply with 91.225/91.227. As far as total autonomous UAVs, if they ever see any practical use they will either fall under part 91 or more likely have their own regs. Personally I don't see fully autonomous UAVs being anything more then a gimmick for some time and under the current regulations are not legal. The Regs would need substantial changes to allow those type of commercial endeavors (NASA and the Military are of course different animals).
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

zerofay32 wrote:Personally I don't see fully autonomous UAVs being anything more then a gimmick.
Personally I felt the same way when I first heard all the hoop-la Amazon was making years ago when they announced it. I now feeling less of that but still see no great value in it. I am happy with the fact that because there is such a demand to make this happen new technologies are coming out and interested in seeing how that grows. I've gone from being a naysayer to a lets see what happens in the whole worth of it all.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
jtek

Post by jtek »

Kilstorm wrote:So from everything I know, by 2020 all planes in the USA airspace system must have ADS-B out installed.
Not all planes, just those flying in the airspace that requires it—basically all airspace that currently requires a mode C transponder.
Josh Hinman
PPL ASEL IA (KSMO)