Question About MAYSA5 SID

signmanbob

Question About MAYSA5 SID

Post by signmanbob »

Hello,
I had a question about the MAYSA5 departure out of KPHX.
I'm given the instructions "Climb via SID" and following the paths on the plate, it says FL190 to MAYSA, then FL260 to SISIE. When I read the text, it says "From ZEPER on track 308 to MAYSA, then on transistion MAINTAIN 8000, expect higher altitudes after 3 minutes."
When instructed to "Climb via SID", do I climb to 8000 and maintain that until instructed to higher altitudes, or do I follow the "FL190", then FL260 to SISIE?

Thank you,
Bob
V-3 * CAT-11 * i-11 Ratings 8-)....Yeah!!
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Question About MAYSA5 SID

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

The altitude you're concerned with when told to "climb via SID" is the one in the box that says "Top Altitude". In this case it's 8000. So you comply with all the restrictions on the SID up to 8000. The FL190 and FL260 altitudes that you mention are the minimum enroute altitudes for that segment, they have zero bearing on the restrictions of the SID itself.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
barcman1967

Post by barcman1967 »

Something that can additionally cause confusion is the "cross GOLAY at or below 9 thousand" which is higher than the top.
signmanbob

Post by signmanbob »

Thank you guys. I love how the response to any questions is so quick here. It is such a big help to have these forums.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

signmanbob wrote:Thank you guys. I love how the response to any questions is so quick here. It is such a big help to have these forums.
Then you'll love the Discord! https://discord.gg/ZW4DJMp
signmanbob

Post by signmanbob »

Keith Smith wrote:
signmanbob wrote:Thank you guys. I love how the response to any questions is so quick here. It is such a big help to have these forums.
Then you'll love the Discord! https://discord.gg/ZW4DJMp

MMMmmmm :idea: .....I forgot about that. I'll have to try it again.
When I first tried Discord on Pilotedge, I embarrassed myself because, after setting it up, I didn't realize that I had a hot mic setting in it (must be the default setting) and I was setting up my aircraft for a flight and, all of a sudden, I heard heavy breathing in my headset. Then I heard shuffling around and it scared me and I said S.O.B. about three times in a row pretty loud, then someone said "Hello" and we both started laughing. :D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

People normally just use the text channels in Discord.