Keeping transmissions short

Stubsound

Keeping transmissions short

Post by Stubsound »

Hi.

Is there any value in using the callsign around untowered airfields, like Oceano?

Are we to choose runway based on the wind sock, or closest ATIS? I sometimes hear that the wind favors 29/25 at San Luis, but the wind sock at Oceano can favor departure from runway 11.

Thank you.
Stig Eliassen - rookie pilot
chaseklvk

Re: Keeping transmissions short

Post by chaseklvk »

By "using the callsign around untowered airfields" I assume you mean transmitting on the CTAF frequency using your callsign when operating around Oceano. While not required, it's good practice to transmit your intentions to other pilots with your callsign. In certain situations it may be beneficial to transmit other information about your aircraft (i.e. type and color) in order for pilots to more easily identify you, especially if the airport is busy. As for runway selection, the sectional chart list the "calm wind" or standard runway for that airport. In the case of Oceano, the sectional chart reads "RP 11" indicating right traffic for runway 11. If the wind at the field favors 29, then take 29.

CZ
Chase Zimmerman | PilotEdge ATCS
Stubsound

Post by Stubsound »

Thanks.

Yes, I meant CTAF transmissions (122.70 in this case). I've heard pilots use various terms, so I got confused. It didn't help that a drone (and a PE customer) departed Oceano 29 with a pretty hefty tailwind, but I assume pre-recorded flights ignore the weather.

I have seen on Skyvector that Oceano 11 is right pattern, so I get that.

Thanks again. Excited to learn more as I get along.
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

See Non-Towered Airport Communications in the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
Stubsound

Post by Stubsound »

Will do. Thanks, Harold.