Question about intercepting a radial

CaptainBoeing

Question about intercepting a radial

Post by CaptainBoeing »

Hi Everyone,

Just have a question.

I was performing the I-3 check-ride and after takeoff, I was given a heading of 175 to 200 ft. After getting up to altitude I was given the instruction to turn heading 310 and intercept the SMO 125 RADIAL. After turning to heading 310 it was obvious that I was not on a track to intercept the reciprocal 305 into SMO and I would need to bank left to actually intercept.

My question is am I free to turn a different heading to intercept the radial. Normally I am used to controllers giving me a heading that actually crosses the radial, that was not the case this time.

What I did was to turn to heading 310 and after I banked left 25 degrees left to actually intercept. Just wondering if that was the correct procedure, or should I have asked for a heading to intercept?

I passed the exam, so I am guessing that I was in the clear. Unfortunately, the controllers switched out I was not able to ask the question at the conclusion of the flight.

Thanks
:D
HRutila

Re: Question about intercepting a radial

Post by HRutila »

The simplest answer I can give you is to request a new heading. There are virtually no cases in which you can deviate from an assigned heading or route without approval from ATC.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

HRutila wrote:There are virtually no cases in which you can deviate from an assigned heading or route without approval from ATC.
Unless an emergency exists. Or, the heading will place the aircraft in an unsafe condition, (wx, terrain, traffic. 91.3 and 91.123)
This space intentionally left blank
CaptainBoeing

Post by CaptainBoeing »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Curiosity made me want to see what really happened so I pulled up my track on PEaware (what a great tool). Turns out I was well off course (see attached)...Still trying to figure out why I strayed north. Some of my confusion came from the fact that I was not expecting to be given a path other then what I filed.

Lessons learned:

1. I should have just stayed the course and I would have eventually intercepted the radial. I guess my thought was that while turning I missed the radial.

2. "If" for some reason, the course given is not correct to intercept, ATC will eventually give me a new course.

3. Communication with ATC is about listening and following directions. Where I stray is when I second guess myself. I should just follow the instruction and ask a question if unsure.

4. A filed route is not always the route ATC will assign you. Be ready for changes.

While I was given a pass, I think it's clear I need to redo this one. :oops:

PEaware info
Attachments
PEaware____N5WD_KSNA-KBUR.jpg
PEaware____N5WD_KSNA-KBUR.jpg (252.92 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
jx_

Post by jx_ »

it appears you did what most pilots do when they are confused by that instruction; they turn direct SLI.
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

Mudhen wrote:
HRutila wrote:There are virtually no cases in which you can deviate from an assigned heading or route without approval from ATC.
Unless an emergency exists. Or, the heading will place the aircraft in an unsafe condition, (wx, terrain, traffic. 91.3 and 91.123)
Indeed!
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII