Question regarding filing for the I-5 rating

CaptainBoeing

Question regarding filing for the I-5 rating

Post by CaptainBoeing »

I am preparing for the I-5 rating rating and noticed that the Kepec (6) arrival no longer list DAG as a transition point for the arrival into KLAS. Just wondering if it makes a difference how I file the route now that the STAR has changed. Planning through ForeFlight I can file "no transition" direct from DAG to the Kepec fix, or use the Misen or TNP transitions. My guess is that if I filed the no transition that ATC would most likely give me Misen or TNP. These two transitions would give me a pre designed route through the terrain, where flying direct DAG-Kepec would not.

If it were up to me, I would probably file via the Misen transition. Just wondering if it makes a difference for the rating.

Ken
Marcus Becker

Re: Question regarding filing for the I-5 rating

Post by Marcus Becker »

Depending on your aircraft, your routes may vary.

Since the writing of the "I Exams", SoCal has been restructured with a massive about of RNAV procedures called the Metroplex (google it, it's pretty amazing how much was added). If you are RNAV equipped, have a good look at SLAPP and VVERA coming out of KBUR. Be sure to read the notes to find out which or if either are usable. If you can fly the SLAPP it's pretty simple with a MISEN transition and you can join the KEPEC6 arrival with relative ease. If you aren't able to fly the SLAPP then you won't be able to use the KEPEC anyway (unpublished but only turbojet aircraft). If your are turbojet and not able to fly the SLAPP (/W for example), the good ole VNY3 DAG CLARR3 is still an option or replace the CLARR3 with CRESO4 for non turbojet.

Good luck and have fun!