Questions regarding VFR and contacting approach

CaptainBoeing

Questions regarding VFR and contacting approach

Post by CaptainBoeing »

Hi,

Ok, so I have completed all of my CAT ratings and have just about completed the I ratings. However, I still have a couple questions regarding flying VFR. In a lot of ways flying IFR seems easier as there is a preplanned route, ATC instructions, and handoff to the next in route controller etc.

My questions are...

1. When Flying VFR when should you contact approach as opposed to going to Tower directly? In the CAT ratings when flying to class D airports you contacted Tower directly. Is that the case with all class "D" airports. If not, what would signal you that you would need to contact approach prior to contacting the tower?

2. Could you contact approach regardless when going into a class "D" airport (if it is available)? If so, how far out should you contact approach?

3. Do you contact approach in every case for class C and B? My guess on this one is yes.

I would imagine that if you had flight following the controller would most likely hand you off to the appropriate ATC approach/tower. So in the cases above what would be the procedure if you did not have flight following?

Sorry if these seem like basic questions, but they are a little fuzzy for me.

Thanks! :D
Ken
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Questions regarding VFR and contacting approach

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

1. When Flying VFR when should you contact approach as opposed to going to Tower directly? In the CAT ratings when flying to class D airports you contacted Tower directly. Is that the case with all class "D" airports. If not, what would signal you that you would need to contact approach prior to contacting the tower?
If you are going to stay below the outer shelves of the C airspace, you may contact the Tower directly if you want. The approach controller generally has jurisdiction over the outer shelves and the surrounding areas.
2. Could you contact approach regardless when going into a class "D" airport (if it is available)? If so, how far out should you contact approach?
If you are contacting approach arriving in a Delta airspace, there is little need other than for basic radar services. Generally, the controller is going to drop you prior to you entering the Delta airspace.
3. Do you contact approach in every case for class C and B? My guess on this one is yes.
Reference #1
Kyle Sanders
smokeyupahead

Re: Questions regarding VFR and contacting approach

Post by smokeyupahead »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:
If you are going to stay below the outer shelves of the C airspace, you may contact the Tower directly if you want. The approach controller generally has jurisdiction over the outer shelves and the surrounding areas.
If you are contacting approach arriving in a Delta airspace, there is little need other than for basic radar services. Generally, the controller is going to drop you prior to you entering the Delta airspace.
Reference #1
This is very usefull. I had doubts on this same subject. Thanks