Question on KOTH ILS 4 Approach

rtataryn

Re: Question on KOTH ILS 4 Approach

Post by rtataryn »

bobsk8 wrote: ... Question, does the ( 6.3) next to the 244 degrees indicate that 6.3 miles on that 244 heading will get you to emire?
Yes, exactly.

That's also verified on the profile view showing EMIRE LOM located at the OTH 6.3 DME (The D around 6.3)
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Bob,

I'd strongly suggest going through the free workshops (see my signature). There is a portion on instrument approaches which will explain how to do full approaches in detail.

You don't want to be arriving over a feeder or initial approach fix for the assigned approach without an absolutely concrete understanding of how to fly the approach. Just like real life, it will not end well, and you're unlikely to learn much while in you're in the air scrambling to work it out.

Also, full approaches are covered in the I-ratings (the I-6, specifically).
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

Keith Smith wrote:Bob,

I'd strongly suggest going through the free workshops (see my signature). There is a portion on instrument approaches which will explain how to do full approaches in detail.

You don't want to be arriving over a feeder or initial approach fix for the assigned approach without an absolutely concrete understanding of how to fly the approach. Just like real life, it will not end well, and you're unlikely to learn much while in you're in the air scrambling to work it out.

Also, full approaches are covered in the I-ratings (the I-6, specifically).
Just what I need. Thank you...
Licensed Pilot since 1978
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

You might want to review the difference between "heading" and "course". You have mentioned in many posts that you are flying a heading instead of tracking a radial. Imagine what happens to your position when you add a wind component and you are on a heading instead of a radial from a navaid.
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

bobsk8 wrote:I then turned outbound on the BC...
One little nitpick ;) , when you are flying outbound on a Localizer you are still on the frontcourse (The backcourse is something entirely different).

If you have a traditional OBS display you will have reverse sensing (just as you would flying inbound on a backcourse) until you complete the procedure turn. If you have a HSI then you won't have reverse sensing with it set to the inbound course.

All Localizers have a front and back course signal, not all front or backcourses are flyable for every installation.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Marcus Becker wrote:You might want to review the difference between "heading" and "course". You have mentioned in many posts that you are flying a heading instead of tracking a radial. Imagine what happens to your position when you add a wind component and you are on a heading instead of a radial from a navaid.
Great point Marcus! I edited my earlier response to reflect that astute catch. A quick comment that these feeder routes are not always off of VORs where a radial can be tracked. Some are from NDB's and a lot of the RNAV approaches have feeder routes from fixes. For instance, the RNAV (GPS) RWY 18 into F70 has feeders from CIVET to JESEX (IAF), and from GAREY to KELTE (IAF). No radials to track there, just courses between GPS waypoints.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848