ONT09 TEC Route questions.

CaptainBoeing

ONT09 TEC Route questions.

Post by CaptainBoeing »

Hi Everyone,

I have a questions regarding the ONT09 TEC route from KEMT to KFUL.

When I pull up the TEC route on the TEC Route Search it gives me PDZ PDZ270R V394 SLI. After clicking on the Skyvector overlay it shows me this...
SkyVector__Flight_Planning___Aeronautical_Charts.jpg
SkyVector__Flight_Planning___Aeronautical_Charts.jpg (219.07 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Reading the route this makes sense.
Fly to PDZ
Fly the 270R out of PDZ until hitting the V394 to SLI

However, when I select that TEC route in Foreflight it gives me this routing. PDZ AHEIM V394 SLI
ForeFlight_Web.jpg
ForeFlight_Web.jpg (301.48 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
My question is which one is correct?

Thanks!
Ken
rtataryn

Re: ONT09 TEC Route questions.

Post by rtataryn »

Foreflight does not always depict TEC routes properly, particularly with VOR radials. Don't count on Foreflight's depictions to be correct. They will typically point out the error though, such as the airway doesn't contain the waypoint, etc. In your question, clearly Skyvector is the correct one.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
kullery

Post by kullery »

The published route is PDZ PDZ270R V394 SLI

Crazy as it looks, the Skyvector link I have provided on MyFlightRoute is correct. The route is to PDZ, then proceed on the PDZ 270 radial to join V394 to SLI.

It's important to note that TEC routes are typically not designed for a single airport, but instead they serve multiple airports within a geographic area. Inevitably there are some compromises when a route serves multiple airports. In this case, the ONT09 route is used for flights originating at : CCB CNO EMT HMT REI L65 AJO RAL RIR RIV SBD F70 ONT POC. Most of those airprots are closer to PDZ and many are east of PDZ. In those cases, the route appears more reasonable. KEMT happens to be the western most airport in the Empire area, so for that originating airport, the resulting route plot seems to make little sense. I would be surprised if a controller didn't offer you V394 without going all the way to PDZ and back.

I am a huge fan of Foreflight, but unfortunately they are a very poor resource for TEC routes in ZLA. I've had many conversations with Foreflight representatives about the issue but they have't been able to address it yet.
Last edited by kullery on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
CaptainBoeing

Post by CaptainBoeing »

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure considering the conflicting info on Foreflight.