Few questions before joining

reanopp

Few questions before joining

Post by reanopp »

Hi all,

I've been a flightsim pilot for the last 12 years or so, mostly focusing on PMDG planes (especially the B738). Currently I use ProATC for synthetic ATC as I found it to be the only somewhat reliable one to provide SID/STAR clearances, etc. I've tried my hand at VATSIM before, but found the lack of dedicated controllers to be an issue.

As far as procedures go, I wouldn't say I'm 101% up to scratch, but probably above 90% at least :) Simple things like having the transponder on during ground ops, etc still confuse me a bit. TA/RA during taxi or only before takeoff, etc. However, clearance delivery I'm fine with, ditto with flight planning including departures, arrivals and approaches. Since I've never flown the smaller airframes much, "left downwind leg" etc does confuse me. Instrument ops is where I feel comfortable, and with the B738 (and occasionally B772, B744, and A320) that's usually how it ends up going.

Is there any PE-specific things I need to learn before I start? Thinking of the transponder here as an example, but I'm sure there's more.
Scott Medeiros

Re: Few questions before joining

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Treat PilotEdge as you would the real world. All frequencies are available, and all civilian airspace rules are to be obeyed. You'll find much more depth to the PE environment than you would with AI ATC or VATSIM. I suggest you take a look at our training programs to brush up on VFR (CAT ratings) and IFR (I-ratings) procedures. ZLA and Western US has some very interesting airspace and instrument procedures and the ratings touch on some of them. It's a great resource for both experienced pilots, as well as students. https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/trainin ... m-overview

Welcome to PilotEdge, I hope you enjoy your experience!!
Scott
reanopp

Post by reanopp »

Ah, great - thanks! I'll brush up on the info on the I-ratings before trying to fly online :)
reanopp

Post by reanopp »

Oh, one other question - can one sign up for ONLY the Western Expansion if you plan to only fly in those areas and avoid the ZLA areas? Was wondering what the consequences would be, for instance, if you have a departure and destination airport in the Western Expansion but you have to overfly the ZLA areas for a few minutes?

For instance, KDEN to KSEA all happens in the Western Expansion areas and I assume all stations will have operators (center, and app/dep/gnd/tower/delivery for manned airports).
But
KSFO to KPHX are both in Western Expansion, but your route would take you over the ZLA area on the coverage map. What happens then? Assuming you're only subscribed to Western Expansion (wish I could afford both!)
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

reanopp wrote:Oh, one other question - can one sign up for ONLY the Western Expansion if you plan to only fly in those areas and avoid the ZLA areas? Was wondering what the consequences would be, for instance, if you have a departure and destination airport in the Western Expansion but you have to overfly the ZLA areas for a few minutes?

For instance, KDEN to KSEA all happens in the Western Expansion areas and I assume all stations will have operators (center, and app/dep/gnd/tower/delivery for manned airports).
But
KSFO to KPHX are both in Western Expansion, but your route would take you over the ZLA area on the coverage map. What happens then? Assuming you're only subscribed to Western Expansion (wish I could afford both!)
Overflight is fine.
Reference attached picture from the Pricing page.
908A3CBD-709E-4AFA-B82F-1CDEAA11E126.jpeg
908A3CBD-709E-4AFA-B82F-1CDEAA11E126.jpeg (744.26 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Kyle Sanders
reanopp

Post by reanopp »

Ah, missed that part. Thank you!
reanopp

Post by reanopp »

Spent the last couple of days going through the documentation and watching streamers who fly on PilotEdge, picked up quite a bit of information so far. Few more questions come to mind that I can't find any concrete info on, however (maybe I looked in the wrong place):

In both cases, assume I'm in a 737 or heavier:

1) When you file the flight plan, do you include the SID/STAR, or do you just file the "enroute" route and wait to be assigned a SID on clearance delivery? Filing a SID can be tricky if you don't know what runway ATC is going to use for departures, especially if the ATIS doesn't tell you (and it usually doesn't in the sim, it seems). Same question applies to STARS - prefile, or wait to be assigned?

2) Do you call for push&start - and if so, does ATC give you a direction? How do you know where to face if you don't know your assigned taxi route yet? Or do you just call for taxi before pushing back and base your pushback direction on that?

3) Does the possibility exist that I can request a controller whether I can step away from my computer after reaching cruise altitude and return just before T/D? (Assuming there are no step climbs in the plan). Or is AFK-flight not allowed/encouraged?

4) Will it be fine if I have MyTraffic6 installed (P3D), obviously with the AI traffic sliders turned to 0? Or does the MyTraffic6 files conflict with the liveries that PilotEdge puts in the sim?

Merry Christmas to all, see you online soon :)
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

1) When you file the flight plan, do you include the SID/STAR, or do you just file the "enroute" route and wait to be assigned a SID on clearance delivery? Filing a SID can be tricky if you don't know what runway ATC is going to use for departures, especially if the ATIS doesn't tell you (and it usually doesn't in the sim, it seems). Same question applies to STARS - prefile, or wait to be assigned?
Yes you file the SID/STAR. If they are incompatible with SOP, runway OPS or LOA, it will be changed by ATC in your clearance. Always be ready for a full route clearance.
Also checkout the ATIS page in http://myflightroute.com

2) Do you call for push&start - and if so, does ATC give you a direction? How do you know where to face if you don't know your assigned taxi route yet? Or do you just call for taxi before pushing back and base your pushback direction on that?
Only call for push and start if you must push out onto a movement area. This means a taxiway. The ramp is not controlled by ATC. You can do donuts in the ramp area for all they care. Airport ops/ramp agents might want to have a speak with you tho! ;)
You should know the runway and a predictable route based off the ATIS. (See answer #1)
Only call for taxi when you are ready to start taxi immediately.

3) Does the possibility exist that I can request a controller whether I can step away from my computer after reaching cruise altitude and return just before T/D? (Assuming there are no step climbs in the plan). Or is AFK-flight not allowed/encouraged?
This isn’t VATSIM. You will have too many frequency changes enroute to be gone long. 5min or so?... sure! Just ask the controller.

4) Will it be fine if I have MyTraffic6 installed (P3D), obviously with the AI traffic sliders turned to 0? Or does the MyTraffic6 files conflict with the liveries that PilotEdge puts in the sim?
I don’t know much about P3D so I will leave this for someone else :)
Last edited by Kyle.Sanders on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Sanders
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

I feel you would greatly benefit from these free workshops: https://www.pilotedge.net/workshops

Have fun! Happy holidays!
Kyle Sanders
reanopp

Post by reanopp »

Thank you, Kyle - some great info there! And the MyFlightRoute site is fantastic, especially to indicate currently active runways and live ATIS. Will definitely have a look at the workshops as well.