Approach gate should be mentioned in I-1 rating description

joomie

Approach gate should be mentioned in I-1 rating description

Post by joomie »

Hi!

Yesterday I nearly failed my second attempt to get the I-1 rating simply because I was not fully established on the
localizer (LOC) and glide slope (G/S) for the instrument landing system (ILS) approach latest one mile before the final approach fix (FAF).

I suggest that the description for the I-1 rating explains that a bit more.

Cheers,
joomie
X-Plane 11.00pb3, Win 10 (64bit), ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, Intel Core i7 6700K@4.5 GHz, Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 X3 (no OC), 32GB DDR4 RAM, ASUS Strix SOAR sound card, 1.25 TB SSD, SAMSUNG SUHD 55'' TV 3840x2160, TrackIR5.4.2
Mudhen

Re: Approach gate should be mentioned in I-1 rating descript

Post by Mudhen »

The onus to ensure the airplane is established on the approach rests with ATC, not the pilot. (7110.65/5-9-1, 2)
Put another way, the pilot is not responsible to be established one mile prior to the FAF.
P/E does not have PAR monitoring so, unless you’re wildly off course/altitude, there’s really no way for the controller to know whether you’re flying the approach well, or not.
This space intentionally left blank
joomie

Post by joomie »

Okay, interesting because after both flights the controllers discussed that in a kind of mini debrief.
I googled and found this: http://www.terps.com/ifrr/feb98c.pdf

Anyway, I told the controller that my understanding is that it's up to me to catch the approach path/ glide slope after I've been cleared for an ILS approach.
But I'm not sure since there are points on the approach where one needs to decide if it'll be a missed approach and revectoring will be needed or not.

I just wanted to highlight that topic since I was quite surprised.
X-Plane 11.00pb3, Win 10 (64bit), ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, Intel Core i7 6700K@4.5 GHz, Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 X3 (no OC), 32GB DDR4 RAM, ASUS Strix SOAR sound card, 1.25 TB SSD, SAMSUNG SUHD 55'' TV 3840x2160, TrackIR5.4.2
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

joomie wrote: Yesterday I nearly failed my second attempt to get the I-1 rating simply because I was not fully established on the localizer (LOC) and glide slope (G/S) for the instrument landing system (ILS) approach latest one mile before the final approach fix (FAF).

I suggest that the description for the I-1 rating explains that a bit more.
This is not a requirement of the pilot. Also, you can be considered "established" despite not being on the center of the localizer. The real issue is whether you intercepted the localizer correctly after being given the intercept heading in your clearance, and whether you commenced a descent at the appropriate time.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

"But I'm not sure since there are points on the approach where one needs to decide if it'll be a missed approach and revectoring will be needed or not."

You refering to the minums I'm guessing?... congrats on passing though. ; )
joomie

Post by joomie »

Thanks!
I must read a bit.
I understood minimums at points, where you must have runway in sight.
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Just to clarify, a missed approach can be accomplished any time the pilot deems necessary during an approach.

Some reasons to go missed...
-Full scale deflection of course or GS needles
-descent below MDA/DH without the runway environment in sight
-reaching the missed approach point or DH without the runway environment in sight
-losing sight of the airport during a circle to land
-Loss of RAIM during a GPS/RNAV/RNP Approach
-instrument or system failure
-windsheer
-unstable approach, including not being configured or on speed at a specific altitude (we use 1000' AGL at my airline)
-ATC instructions

Common error: When beginning the missed approach prior to the MAP or DH, remember to follow the lateral approach course to the MAP, or timing, before starting a turn on the published missed approach course.

Upon reaching minimums, if you see ONLY the approach lights, you can descend to 100'AGL, but you can't land until...

You can only land if...
1. Are in a position to make normal maneuvers to land
2. Flight visibility is at least what's required by the approach
3. At least 1 of the following in sight...Approach lights, runway end identifier lights (REIL), VASI, runway threshold, threshold lights or markings, runway lights or markings, touchdown zone lights or markings.