Round robin flight plan

oldbold

Round robin flight plan

Post by oldbold »

Any suggestions about flying a round robin IFR flight plan? For example, I would like to fly from airport A to airport B, shoot a missed approach at airport B, then return to airport A and shoot an approach at airport A. Should I just file an IFR plan showing airport A as both departure and destination airport, routing via airport B, and maybe putting something in the plan remarks about wanting a practice low approach at airport B?

Pilotedge controllers do an amazing job, I don't want to cause them unnecessary problems!
Keith Smith

Re: Round robin flight plan

Post by Keith Smith »

This comes up in the real world, too, however, in the r/w it's possible to file multiple flight plans, too. That can be simulated by filing the second flight plan while you're on the missed from the first approach, I suppose.

It's up to you, but I would file from airport A to airport B, then at the time you make the approach request, advise them that you plan to go missed and divert back to airport A. I do this in real life when the airports are fairly close together and only once have I had a controller (at Allentown) say, "you'll need to file a flight plan for the return leg with Flight Service." So, we went off frequency, talked to Flight Service, filed in flight, then picked up the clearance with the approach controller. The equivalent on PE would be filing the return leg via the pilot client during the missed.