Realistic Sounding ATC...Reviving old topic

nigelmcelwee

Realistic Sounding ATC...Reviving old topic

Post by nigelmcelwee »

I know there were a few old topics dating back several years on how to have realistic sounding incoming voice from the PE Network. With windows 10 and all the new virtual programs out there, has anyone figured out a way to have PE voice sound more staticky?

I saw virtual audio cable was still around and has windows 10 64 bit version. I was thinking of pairing this up with a virtual guitar distortion effects pedal to make the PE source that virtual cable.

Anyone have a very simple and cheap way to do it? This would cost around 50 bucks to do and didnt know if anyone figured out an easier way. Not that I dont love the voices already I just want them to sound a little more realistic.

Teamspeak has a great mod with an FX distortion filter that makes it sound very realistic.
Keith Smith

Re: Realistic Sounding ATC...Reviving old topic

Post by Keith Smith »

Simplest way that I know if is to use an aviation grade intercom with aviation headsets. That's what actually gives the radio transmissions that "radio" sound. This intercom is perfect: https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/produ ... -iisx.aspx (people with PFC and FlyThisSim BATDs and AATDs use these all the time).

Otherwise, Virtual Cable and some audio processing software is what you want if you want a software only solution.

I will be getting back to this at some point in terms of a PE implementation. I got pretty close with an implementation in DCS, I just couldn't get the distortion sounding good without it being crazy loud.
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

Awesome, thanks Keith! That intercom looks great. I just need to invest in some aviation headsets now! I wish I still have my Dave Clarks from my air force days.

Just a quick question. The virtual audio cable here: https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/

If I install this along with a virtual guitar distortion pedal the route would be:

virtual audio cable -> distortion pedal-> headset

and when I connect to PE, I would choose the Virtual cable as the playback device and the signal coming in would be routed to the distortion pedal then to my headset. Is that correct?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Not sure, I have never played with it. A good way to test, though, would be to download some of the audio files from our web site (https://pilotedge.net/audio) and play those back locally when you tinker with the audio settings.
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Filtering the ATC audio seems like a great idea. I'm on Win10 so I installed Equalizer APO 1.2 and adjusted only my Logitec Gaming Headset (a separate audio device for playback and record) using the PE Receiver. Sounding great! Then I started up XP and , damn, the aircraft sounds, nav idents, wind, etc. are also filtered. Duh! Not acceptable.

So how are you guys filtering just the audio from PilotEdge? Or are you?

PS: In my opinion, the audio service used by PE should do the filtering. They we would all get realistic radio sounds without jumping through hoops. Keeping in mind that the natural filtering of the AM VHF radio receivers and transmitters are combined with the audio response of the aviation microphones and headsets, so this should be workable. Make the PE audio service passband like the real AM transmitters'.
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

OK I figured out how to filter incoming ATC audio to make it sound reasonably real, and also provide adjustable microphone side tone, with a few free "minimal" versions of tools. If anyone is interested post back and I will write it up. I think I could also filter the microphone audio but it seems not to be a good idea. A few PE people sound like their audio is "realified" though.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Bob Denny wrote:OK I figured out how to filter incoming ATC audio to make it sound reasonably real, and also provide adjustable microphone side tone, with a few free "minimal" versions of tools. If anyone is interested post back and I will write it up. I think I could also filter the microphone audio but it seems not to be a good idea. A few PE people sound like their audio is "realified" though.
I think every single person is interested. Please start typing.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

Bob Denny wrote:OK I figured out how to filter incoming ATC audio to make it sound reasonably real, and also provide adjustable microphone side tone, with a few free "minimal" versions of tools. If anyone is interested post back and I will write it up. I think I could also filter the microphone audio but it seems not to be a good idea. A few PE people sound like their audio is "realified" though.
Yes yes please dont tease us!! tell us how :)
Anthony Santanastaso

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

kevin meyers wrote:
I think every single person is interested. Please start typing.
Here here! Thanks.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
N861LIMA

Post by N861LIMA »

In my experience, at least two male PE controllers already have some level of "radio-ish" sound in their transmissions.
The lady one has a very live, in-your-face high quality voice (no pun intended) but I can live with that ;)