Realistic Sounding ATC...Reviving old topic

jport1

Re: Realistic Sounding ATC...Reviving old topic

Post by jport1 »

flyingdrill wrote:
kevin meyers wrote:
flyingdrill wrote:Again with the sound tinkering..........

Yes, I got that, Kevin. However, I just felt that it was not a vital thing for PilotEdge's programmers or staff to be working on. I wonder just how many of the users (all the users, not just this thread's contributors) really want this - or even care...........
Flyingdrill, you seem to possibly ignoring a growing segment of the paying customer base here. We pay for the service and we should have a voice and not be drowned out with this is JUST designed for a single group of ‘in training pilots’. I can only imagine that there is increasing growth in aviation enthusiasts who are about making our sim experience as real as it can get. Pilots don’t listen to a clean signal, I know, I am one.

I have proposed an option for each pilot-type preference, I.e., clear or realistic. I would think that it may even be desirable for an ‘in training student’ to have it clear in the beginning and later, after some experience, may want to hear what they will in a real aircraft. That too is a training experience.

Last, I suppose I bristle when someone appears to silence a possible new and growing user market segment. I hope ownership is giving this some attention. A simple coding project could much enhance this service! IMHO a win-win!

I hope that this topic, a topic that does not seem to go away, does get some concerted thought.

Joe
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

Do I want my PilotEdge radio to sound like 'other' radios?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Author's note 31JUL18:
I thought it was going to be something resembling what was already out there and not what it is. It sounds good from what I have heard on videos. I have FSX for the time being so from what I understand I can't use that option which is fine with me. I have 63 year old ears and have spent most of my life, and occasionally still do, firmly believing that if it's too loud you're too old! So the better I can hear the controller the better! Especially when I pay $20 a month to do it.
Last edited by RogerW on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

This has been receiving some attention of late now that I've gotten some help from someone who has experience with digital signal processing. I have it working well in the X-Plane plugin. The code base that I was using also has some unrelated changes that aren't ready for release regarding the movement of other aircraft. I'm trying to get that finished up, then I can release the whole thing. If I can't get the motion to the point where it's stable for release, then I'll roll back the motion change and just release the plugin with the audio change.

The server has always calculated the signal strength for each transmission (to the best of its ability), and a while back, when I first started working on the client side changes (using DCS as the test bed), the network protocol was updated to start sending signal strength directives to the client.

I was able to get the solution working to some extent, but not to the point where is was usable. In recent days, Totoritko (the developer who is working on the Hotstart TBM-900 for X-Plane) helped me out with the portions that I was struggling with in terms of the DSP processing and now the audio is where I want it to be, using dynamic distortion levels (on a curve) based on signal strength.

Stay tuned.
uncertifiedpilot

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

I can hardly wait. Great news!
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

This is FANTASTIC news!!
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Awesome!
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Salire

Post by Salire »

It sounds VERY good and really adds to the immersion!
Sally
PPL Asheville, NC
jport1

Post by jport1 »

so which plugin to use. I have the original plugin (which is the best IMHO). Please let me know what I have to do to get this to work.

This is GREAT news. Thanks

Joe
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

jport1 wrote:so which plugin to use. I have the original plugin (which is the best IMHO). Please let me know what I have to do to get this to work.

This is GREAT news. Thanks

Joe
You need Xplane, then just download the plugin from the website. What makes the original plugin any better than the current one?
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
jport1

Post by jport1 »

I run P3D v 4.3. Is it going to work here at some point?

Joe