PE + FSX + FlyInside Question

Casimir

PE + FSX + FlyInside Question

Post by Casimir »

Newbie here, and have a question for those of you who fly PE with an Oculus or Vive.

I just finished my first flight (the Oceano - San Luis one) and I think I did okay - however, once I got airborne I couldn't remember what the runway in use was at San Luis... and I got so flustered that even after the controller told me when I was cleared to land it slipped me too ("... uh... Cessna 51E cleared to land..." *click*). This got me thinking about information "in the cockpit" - and how some of you do it.

Typically when I'm flying a long flight, and specifically when I'm preparing for one, I use FlyInside's "virtual desktop" feature to check Skyvector and AS2016 for radio channels, altimeter, wind direction, etc. However, once I'm airborne, doing that isn't really feasible. What I'd like to be able to do is have a window I can put that kind of relevant information into and then import it into FlyInside via the Import feature. However, the last time I tried that (with a Notepad window) all I got was this tiny thing that I couldn't read at all (it wasn't zoomed way out... it was like the Notepad window had been dragged closed by the corner so it was just a sliver in size).

So my question is, how do you guys do it? What method seems to work best for you?

The one issue I have is that I wear contacts as I dislike wearing glasses in the Oculus unless I have no choice. The contacts allow me to have excellent distance vision, but I need reading glasses for near vision. So, that essentially eliminates being able to write something down on a scratch pad to glance down under the goggles (unless I use a really big pen... lol).
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)
Casimir

Re: PE + FSX + FlyInside Question

Post by Casimir »

As an update, I tested the import window again, and was able to get a Notepad window to import successfully (not sure why it didn't work the first time). I've only used import windows in FlyInside a few times, and usually it was with PDFs (and had hit / miss success).

I'd still like to know how the rest of you who use a VR headset deal with this.
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)
FDXDave

Re: PE + FSX + FlyInside Question

Post by FDXDave »

I use Xplane. You can use xplane demo for free. Try using this free plugin this guy made and continues to make better.
Maybe the Dev would know of a way to make it work in fsx. AviTab. Pretty much is what you need
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... -and-more/