Hats off!

Mr H

Hats off!

Post by Mr H »

A big, big shout out to everyone here at PE. I did 3 T&G’s this morning, with my mean, old nasty CFI on the ground, and I didn’t tear up the plane! It was a towered field, GMU, and the winds were in my favor, as well as the clouds. I dropped off my instructor and he told me not to forget to mention to tower that I was soloing. Of course, the mean, old nasty ATC guy wanted me to fly a right pattern right out of the box! I had 150 landings in my logbook. Never, not once, did I fly a right pattern. As you Cessna guys know, lil harder to see out of the right side. Things are so different from that perspective. Anyway, by midfield DW, I could tell I was drifting toward the runway. I think I ended up doing a big oval that time around. I remember thinking that I was not where I needed to be. But, with the little instincts I have, I was able to smoothly set it down and go around again. Tower did put me on a left pattern this time, so the anxiety level dropped a little. Second lap was uneventful. Start climbing out for the third time and the mean, old nasty ATC man wants me to stay heading and wait on him to tell me to make the X wind turn. Of course, I missed the first call for me to turn, and he was quite terse on the second call. “20155, TURN LEFT CROSS WIND!” Maybe he was still drinking his latte, idk. I was at pattern altitude and at my right speed, so I was still happy. Made the turn, DW, base and final and set it down. A gust of wind came along, though, and I felt the left wing rise. I tapped the brakes and felt the wheel touch down a second time. A little scary, but I could see the turnoff up ahead and begin to relax. I thanked the guy in the tower when I got done, and he asked me if I didn’t hear him on the first X wind call. I said no, but I knew he was talking to a fast mover, and didn’t want to step on anyone’s coms. He said no problem. Whew! Once again, thanks to everyone, especially the mean, old nasty ATC guys that stay on my ass when my coms are not quite right. Being able to sim with you guys made the radio fear a non factor. Look forward to more!
Thanks,
Gary
Attachments
CF712C24-1951-48E6-AFB0-8B93780EA8AD.png
CF712C24-1951-48E6-AFB0-8B93780EA8AD.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 6075 times
Gary H
N503AM KSPA
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Hats off!

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Awesome Gary! Congrats!
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Casimir

Post by Casimir »

Congrats!
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Congrats Gary! That's a flight you'll never forget.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Woohoo Congrats. Seriously... I'm a tower guy.... we understand students solo. Sorry you had to deal with a grumpy local controller lol
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
BFG

Post by BFG »

Best feeling in the world. Congratulations.
Peristarkawan

Post by Peristarkawan »

Congrats!

The first time I soloed at a towered airport, my CFI on the ground was given a number to call by the tower... :oops: