June 29 ZLA event

flyingdrill

June 29 ZLA event

Post by flyingdrill »

Great fun. I got going in the Panthera from Victorville, with a small line-up behind me. I was given a departure runway, at variance with the wind and ATIS, but no problem! My clearance was for a 250 heading, which was not the expected DP, and I was off and away. I filed for 10,000' but ended up at 8000', despite hearing the ground controller refusing 8000' to several others - as he said it was unavailable due to whatever.....
I was batting along at a GS of around 200kts at times, and it was no surprise that I had left my trailing pilots behind, as there were quite a lot of people trying out the freeware Robin - which maxes out at around 115-120kts. I later had some vectors and a VNY 255° radial intercept (as I remember it!), which was a bit more interesting than I am usually given into CMA. My Panthera's "Traffic" voice obliterated the controller more than once, and I had to get a repeat of instructions. I should have turned the feature off...... Anyway, I had the visual into 26, although I watched Cat's stream for a few minutes, and he was flying the RNAV approach. I made a slow approach, which surprised another pilot in a 172, but I was having fun. I made a bit of a gibberish call to Tower - well, for me (UK), it was 1:00 am or so........ The old brain was probably, by then, not at its peak time ;)
Apparently, I was the first pilot to land in the event at either airport. A pity I could not have hung around for longer to see some more of the action. Lovely to hear and deal with a few controllers on what is a shortish flight. More like RW than ever. Thanks to all.
Medtner

Re: June 29 ZLA event

Post by Medtner »

That 172 pilot was me. I was doing a 360 to avoid conflict with your extremely slow approach. First time my 172 has been to fast for other traffic. :-P

I stayed in the pattern at Camarillo to catch the traffic, but was cut short by low oil pressure and had to make an emergency landing. Fun event! :-)
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Medtner wrote:That 172 pilot was me. I was doing a 360 to avoid conflict with your extremely slow approach. First time my 172 has been to fast for other traffic. :-P)
Funnily enough, PEAware shows my approach was at between around 100 kts to 85kts. on the short final. Aerobask's manual puts the approach speed as 80 kts....... ;)

I'm sure I could have come in faster, and then made a last minute slow-down, but you needed the practice in doing the 360, didn't you?
Salire

Post by Salire »

I was not expecting the VNY255 radial intercept (should I have?) with not a lot of time to get ready and I flew right past it while trying to set it up. Sometimes it takes me a little longer because I fly in VR and getting out charts can take more time. The other learning moment for me was when I was told to resume normal navigation by ATC that DID NOT mean to cancel the speed restriction (I was in the DA62 but in line with the flock of Robins at 120kts).
Sally
PPL Asheville, NC
jx_

Post by jx_ »

Salire wrote:I was not expecting the VNY255 radial intercept (should I have?) with not a lot of time to get ready and I flew right past it while trying to set it up. Sometimes it takes me a little longer because I fly in VR and getting out charts can take more time. The other learning moment for me was when I was told to resume normal navigation by ATC that DID NOT mean to cancel the speed restriction (I was in the DA62 but in line with the flock of Robins at 120kts).
Quick tip: Ask the controller for the VOR frequency. It's a vector not on your route, no need to look at a chart.