No CTAF radio activity?

louloizides

No CTAF radio activity?

Post by louloizides »

I'm using XP11 VR and new to pilot edge. I wanted to start by flying out of a non-towered airport and just making pattern calls.

I've started at L52 a couple of times. I set my radio to 122.7. Once I connect to PilotEdge I usually see one or two other planes. But I didn't hear anything. I made a call asking if someone could give me a radio check... nothing. As an experiment I switched the radio to San Luis tower (124.0) and I heard activity. So I think I have everything connected ok... I also have the PTT (contact ATC) set to my yoke and I see the button get depressed in VR when I press it (I'm flying the Carenado 152 w/ Nahidran mod).

Never bothered with GPS or radios so far, I've only used the sim to practice maneuvers. So Pilot Edge is a learning curve for me in more ways than one. But I'm not sure if the issue is me not using something correctly, if someone else isn't, or if I should try a different airport.

I have a few questions:
1) Are the other planes definitely other pilots, or is there any "robot" activity?
2) Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to hear other planes on CTAF, but I can hear ATC ok?
3) Is there a more active CTAF airport I should be trying?
4) Is there any reason the CTAF frequencies would differ from real life? According to AirNav L52 is 122.7

I do want to start working on towered airports, but need to take baby steps first and make sure I'm using all of this correctly.
Student Pilot
C150D N530RC
rtataryn

Re: No CTAF radio activity?

Post by rtataryn »

I'm sure your system is working fine. The CTAF frequencies are the same as real life.

To increase traffic density and provide a more realistic experience, PilotEdge employs a system that generates “drone” aircraft based on actual flights that were conducted by real people on the network. Drone aircraft are indistinguishable from human-controlled aircraft in their appearance and behavior - except that they don't talk on the radio. (The drones remain clear of Class A/B/C/D airspace, where they would otherwise be communicating with ATC.)

You'll see the drones frequently at most of the Class E airports taxiing or in the pattern. Catalina is loaded with them, which is actually very realistic to real world traffic there. It would be nice if they announced on the radio, but you'll have to pretend they are NORDO. Or that they are like too many real world pilots who think that they never have to announce. Keep your head on a swivel.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
louloizides

Post by louloizides »

Ok cool... answers my question perfectly!

Would you recommend any other CTAF airports? I'd like to get my feet wet with CTAF before moving onto ATC, plus in real life I'm still trying to work on my CTAF skills anyway.

Thanks!
Student Pilot
C150D N530RC
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

1. PE has planes that are prerecorded flights to increase traffic in areas where you would have "no radio traffic" in the real world. Since these have no human pilots they do not communicate, nor do they Change their flight paths (i.e. They may be using the wrong runway for the given wind conditions).

2. No reason as the CTAF frequencies work the same as other radio frequencies. You will only hear other traffic if there is another user in the same geographical area who is on the same frequency.

3. The first two airports used for the CAT 1 and CAT 2 ratings are probably the most visited. Santa Catalina KAVX is another. But again if there isn't another user in the area, you will not hear anyone else on the CTAF.

4. You should always use the frequencies listed in the current FAA Chart Supplement (formally the Airport/Facility Directory). AirNav should be a reliable source and also, CTAFs don't change very often.

Something else to note, even if a user is at the same non-towered field, it is not required to self announce on the CTAF.

EDIT: ninja'd again... :)
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Would you recommend any other CTAF airports? I'd like to get my feet wet with CTAF before moving onto ATC, plus in real life I'm still trying to work on my CTAF skills anyway.
We provide guaranteed ATC coverage 15x7...but we can't control who does what on the CTAF (just like real life). Unless you are planning on meeting up with some other people at a specific field, I wouldn't count too much on their being a ton of CTAF activity. Some people use the wrong CTAF freq, or just don't bother calling (also like real life).
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Even if there is real traffic I find people don't even use the frequency to announce their intentions... grrr
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL