Comunication issue During Flight

PaulT

Comunication issue During Flight

Post by PaulT »

SETUP
I recently had computer and Display issues with my computer. After getting my computer up and running again, several setting were reset and had to be reconfigured.
on my shake down flight with connected pilotedge. I took off from a controlled airstrip and intended to land at a Towered airport KOTH. Once in the air I tried to contact the KOTH tower (i could hear controllers) for clearance to land but was unable to make contact. I flew above the airspace, finally disconnected, landed and shut down. I discovered that my Default communication device was not configured to my headset. I then logged back in and KOTH ground could hear me loud and clear.

question.... Could I of squawked 7600 and listened for a response for clearance to enter the airspace.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Kevin_atc

Re: Comunication issue During Flight

Post by Kevin_atc »

The issue with doing that is that ATC would have no idea who you were because you weren’t talking to them in the first place. Best case scenario, you may hear “aircraft squawking 7600 10 miles NW of xxx airport, make straight in runway xx, cleared to land.” However, that assumes two potential longshots: First it assumes that ATC actually tries to contact you (controllers may assume you have full loss of comms). Second, it assumes you’re on the frequency of the controller who notices you and tries to get a hold of you.

PilotEdge doesn’t have any ability to interject a light gun signal into your sim (yet), but that’s what would be more likely to happen in the real world as you approach an airport without calling them and on a 7600 code.

Overall, squawking 7600 can’t hurt, and it will certainly alert ATC that something is wrong, but in your situation it would take some luck on your side for it to work out in your favor.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you're going to do a shakedown flight, your best bet would be to start at a towered airport so that you can establish comms prior to taxi.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

thanks for your Responses.
I would have to agree with both thoughts. Starting from a towered airport would identify my issue before even starting a flight. :)
Pilotedge is a awesome Service and Love it..... However, it does has its limiting issues. The ATC controller is monitoring a number of towers and airspace and may not of seen me outside their airspace.

I think if something like this happens again.... I will try to squawk 7600 and circle for 5 minutes or so just to see what happens..
best case he calls and gives me a squawk code which would establish communication and ATC will know I heard them...... thus Landing instructions.

worse case I get no response....I disconnect and land.

both works...
thanks again
Paul

P.s Keith, btw I totally love Pilotedge..... its awesome. I try to treat my flightsim and Pilotedge as real as I can make it. I screw up sometimes but I try to learn with every flight. Thanks for having it. :)