Planning flight from KSMO to KPSP

mabbts

Planning flight from KSMO to KPSP

Post by mabbts »

I’m planning to fly the route between tomorrow’s focus fields. I’ve been out of this a long time (5 years!) and that is some complex airspace between these fields—I love PE, I’d never attempt this in real life though once upon a time I’d have had no problem...back when they were TCAs and ARSAs.

I plan to request flight following right away at taxi. Then I’m expecting, barring any heading/direction instructions, to head about due East and stay at 2,000 to stay below the Class B. So when I call up on the taxi is it correct for me to say my altitude will be 2,000 even though I expect to climb higher later in the flight?

Also, as the Class B allows me to climb, if the controller has not issued altitude instructions, can I climb without notifying the controller? I am mostly concerned about this as I will be maneuvering in Class C airspace.

I would appreciate any advice, and I’m thankful for the controller who will help me correct any mistakes. It’s been hard getting back into this because I used to be pretty competent! Flying the plane is like riding a bike—the radio comms are a whole other beast. It’s starting to come back quick. Once I get my competency in VFR back then I’ll tackle IFR again.

Matt
Keith Smith

Re: Planning flight from KSMO to KPSP

Post by Keith Smith »

I'd recommend the LAX Fly Chart on Skyvector if you're not using it already: https://skyvector.com/?ll=33.9626880325 ... ned%20KPSP

That will help you visualize the airspace very clearly. Your plan is fine, although I would tell them your ultimate cruise altitude, "7500, clear of Bravo" rather than the initial since you'll be climbing to remain just below the Bravo.

The Riverside/Ontario Charlie won't be a factor as you'll be above them (unless you're not planning on climbing that high enroute to PSP). If you are going to be in the Charlie, I suspect you'd be done with your climbs by then in any case. Assuming you weren't, for discussion sake, I would probably advise the controller if I was going to descend or climb while in the Charlie since they are actually providing responsibility for separation from IFR aircraft while you're in that airspace. Once you're in Echo airspace, that's no longer true and you'd only need to report changing altitude if the controller said, "advise prior to any altitude changes."
mabbts

Re: Planning flight from KSMO to KPSP

Post by mabbts »

Thank you