CDO’s/Standups at the regionals

jtbarton

CDO’s/Standups at the regionals

Post by jtbarton »

Anyone have a clue if they are still scheduling these?, last I heard, after the repeat incident at KLSE they where continplating outlawing it.
Kevin_atc

Re: CDO’s/Standups at the regionals

Post by Kevin_atc »

They are definitely still happening. Depends on the airline, though. Some do them, some don’t.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

CDOs, standups, naps, lean-overs... whatever you call it, yes these are definitely still being utilized by scheduling at not only regionals, but at LCCs, and majors. FAR part 117 covers the legalities of CDOs for pilots. The NTSB can make safety recommendations, but until the FAA changes the FARs or the company and union agree on a contract specifically stating no CDOs, these will be continue to be used in airline ops.

While fatigue can come into play whenever you fly in the window of circadian low, there are operational advantages to having these flights. Getting the first flight of the day out on time drastically increases your on time performance throughout the rest of the day, and minimizes the cascading of airplane/crew delays. If the inbound late night flight is delayed, having a CDO crew with no rest requirement because they're still on duty allows that morning's flight to depart on time. The only difference between standups and "back side of the clock" flying is that the crew may (if not too delayed) get to go to a hotel and grab a quick nap instead of flying all night. Some crews love them because they effectively work all night, and get to spend their days at home.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

3 posts in, I still have absolutely no idea what this post is about, but thankfully, someone apparently does.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Crews at the regionals will stay on-duty in order to fly the last flight out of the night and the first flight out in the morning.

Example:

10pm PHX-FLG
5am FLG-PHX

The crew stays on duty the whole time, although they are given a hotel to sleep for a few hours. I've heard of crews just sleeping in the airplane though :roll:
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Keith Smith wrote:3 posts in, I still have absolutely no idea what this post is about, but thankfully, someone apparently does.
That makes two of us. Had to Wiki it . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_duty_overnight

I can see caffeine being a key ingredient here.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

kevin meyers wrote:Crews at the regionals will stay on-duty in order to fly the last flight out of the night and the first flight out in the morning.

Example:

10pm PHX-FLG
5am FLG-PHX

The crew stays on duty the whole time, although they are given a hotel to sleep for a few hours. I've heard of crews just sleeping in the airplane though :roll:
I can confirm that the bottom passenger seat cushions fits perfectly in between isle seats to make a nice long bed on CRJs.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Closest I ever got to calling in fatigued was the one standup I had at the regionals, which then got extended to fit an extra turn at the end of it. The sooner they get rid of those things the better.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net