I´m confuse with todays IFR

Adrian Ruiz

I´m confuse with todays IFR

Post by Adrian Ruiz »

Hi all,

I´m relatively new to Pilotedge and "serious" aviation simulation, so i want to ask you about my flight today because i listen the recordings and still don´t understand what went wrong.

The flight took place in Socal between 8:00 and 9:00 and i´m N196EC.

I was flying between KSNA and KAPV and my clearance was on departure heading 230 vectors SLI V8 PDZ V442 APLES DIRECT. Shortly after i got in contact with Socal Departure i was instructed to "go ahead start the turn".. i thought that the only turn that made any sense was direct SLI, but finally what he spected was 010 joining V8. I think that may be here the controller made some kind of mistake and if this is it, no problem. But if it was not a controller mistake i really don´t know what happen there.

After joining V8 at 2000´, he told me "you didn´t climb, so you missed this whole instruction" or "hold instruction", i´m not English native speaker so i don´t know which one was it.

The question is... there was some kind of procedure that i was missing? Very few times i have departured an airport using a SID as i do short GA flights. That i remember when i was given a departure heading, followed by vectors to the first route point, and an altitude restriction nothing else is expected from me.

Thanks
Andrew Miller

Re: I´m confuse with todays IFR

Post by Andrew Miller »

What SID were you assigned for departure?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Andrew, there was no SID, it was an assigned heading, expect vectors to SLI.

Adrian, many people fly runway heading despite being given the 230 heading in the IFR clearance. When you took off, were you on the 230 heading when you contact Socal Departure?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Adrian,

Disregard, I found your flight track here: http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=307193

It appears you flew the 230 heading very promptly after takeoff, so that was unlikely the cause. I'll need to review the ATC audio to see if I can work out what happened. Perhaps the controller issued a turn towards SLI that you didn't hear or didn't execute in a timely fashion? That would explain his prompting to "go ahead and start the turn."
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Adrian, I found the ATC audio. You're right, the controller issued radar contact but no further turns after that. The next instruction was to 'go ahead and start the turn'. My guess is that he forgot to issue the initial turn to SLI somehow. I'll find out for you.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Adrian, I spoke with the controller, he thought he'd issued "fly hdg 010 intercept V8, climb and maintain 5000" with the radar contact instruction, but apparently that didn't happen.

That was the context under which he said, "go ahead and start the turn," as he thought he'd already issued the turn prior to that.

Based on the audio (http://audio.pilotedge.net/2018/12/2018 ... _17510.mp3 at 3:55), the way he is speaking when he says "radar contact" leads me to believe he was going to say more...he hand may have slipped from the PTT or something like that. I found another part of the recording where his voice cuts off in mid transmission (in the first part of an ILS approach clearance), so that is a possibility. Sorry for the confusion.
Adrian Ruiz

Post by Adrian Ruiz »

Hi Keith,

Thank you so much for your fast reply. In this case, disregard the message. That makes sense. No problem at all! I was just worried i missed something. :) Pilotedge is the best ever happen to the simulation environment.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

My pleasure, I'm glad you're happy with the outcome. This is one of the many reasons that the ATC recordings are there.