Descend at Pilot's Discretion

N55211

Re: Descend at Pilot's Discretion

Post by N55211 »

Ok, so back to my original question though. Not sure if I see a definite answer. Remember, my flight was IFR, not VFR.

Do regulations require me to advise the controller when I start my descent when I have already been issued a "descend at pilots discretion" instruction?

Sorry if I'm not picking up on the answer but the discussion is going sideways on VFR instead of IFR.

Thanks
Eric
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

N55211 wrote:Ok, so back to my original question though. Not sure if I see a definite answer. Remember, my flight was IFR, not VFR.

Do regulations require me to advise the controller when I start my descent when I have already been issued a "descend at pilots discretion" instruction?

Sorry if I'm not picking up on the answer but the discussion is going sideways on VFR instead of IFR.

Thanks
Eric
No, it is not required. When the FAA means for something to be mandatory, the word "must" is used in regulation - and it will be in the regulations (the FARs) not just the AIM. Given that the AIM is not regulatory, we can interpret the plain language of 5-3-3 at face value: the report should be made, but is not mandatory or required. That said, while the AIM is not regulation, it certainly is considered best practice and should be complied with.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
N55211

Post by N55211 »

Ok, thank you.

Eric
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Not required, but recommended. That said, if I issue a pilots discretion descent and I look at my scope and see a potential conflict up ahead, I will ask you to report leaving your cruise altitude. At that point it becomes an ATC instruction and therefore mandatory. I can then amend the descent instruction, if the conflict still exists, etc.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
N55211

Post by N55211 »

Thanks Shawn. Appreciate it.

Eric