Aircraft type for CAT and I ratings

thingsis

Aircraft type for CAT and I ratings

Post by thingsis »

Hi,

I just would like to understand the minimum requirements when it comes to choosing the aircraft type for my PilotEdge journey. I am a fan of older planes with mostly steam gauges, yet would like to fly the CAT and I ratings. My aircraft is a single engine prop with two VORs, an ADF and DME on both VORs. Is that enough for all the ratings or do the I ratings at some point require a GPS? And if so, would the 430 be enough? I know it might be more challenging without GPS, but can it be done?
Also, just on the side, do the SkyHigh flights have additional requirements?

Thanks a lot!
Henrik (currently CAT-3)
Current Rating: CAT-11 & I-11
Main Aircrafts: SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 & Cessna T210M & Cessna 310L
N679HB N191AB
X-Plane 11.4x
zerofay32

Re: Aircraft type for CAT and I ratings

Post by zerofay32 »

The CAT and I ratings do not require GPS to complete. The some of the Skyhigh ratings do have some RNAV required testing criteria. Any IFR certified GPS would work.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
sono

Post by sono »

In regard to the aspect of your post about the 430 - yes that will do fine
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
thingsis

Post by thingsis »

Hi,

great, thanks for both of your answers. Basically I can fly with /A for all the CAT ratings and I ratings - unless I at some point of time decide that GPS makes more sense. My plane has an option for a 430 instead of one of the COM/NAV radios. I should be all set :-)

Thanks again,
Henrik
N679HB N191AB
X-Plane 11.4x
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Henrik, if you peruse the list of approaches that are used in the I-Ratings, you'll notice there's no requirement for RNAV :)
sono

Post by sono »

In regard to your question about Sky High Charter flights, there is one (so far) (#6) that requires rnav. That is only because the departure airport only has an RNAV departure procedure, so it is a real world constraint also. A 430 will do fine for that also as in real life
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
thingsis

Post by thingsis »

Thanks again for all your answers. Keith, I already thought that that would be the case, but since I don't really understand all the IFR requirements yet for the different procedures it seemed more like an educated guess that needed confirmation. Also, sono, thanks for the clarification regarding the 430. I think I will be fine then.
My main point here is that I really kinda want to fly only one aircraft throughout all of this. I prefer to learn one really well rather than switch all the time. That's the reason for my question.
N679HB N191AB
X-Plane 11.4x
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The good news is that the Garmin 530 has a VOR receiver. So, at any given time, you can swap the GPS display to a utility page that does not show your current location or ground track, effectively flying as /U or /A. If you want to dabble in RNAV procedures and concepts later on, you'll already be very familiar with the airplane and can then start pushing the 530 as you see it.

This is why I enjoy the stock Baron....it's a simple, no fuss airplane with a straight forward panel.
thingsis

Post by thingsis »

Keith, I wasn't really aware of that since I never learned how to really use the GPS systems. It always bothered me to have some kind of GPS information available even when trying not to use it. As you say in one of your workshop recordings - if GPS info is available we use it - even if we think we don't. Well, I even notice ;)
I love to fly JRollon's Marchetti, which has to cockpits you can choose from - /A or with a Garmin 430. They are working on a G1000 panel as well.
Do you know if there is a similar mode on the 430 where I don't get any GPS information?
Thanks again Keith!

Henrik
N679HB N191AB
X-Plane 11.4x
thingsis

Post by thingsis »

Keith, one more question: Would you be able to let me know which page you are using? I just browsed through the manual and I am not sure which page you are referring to.
Thanks,
Henrik
N679HB N191AB
X-Plane 11.4x