Two useful things for VR

bobshopsupreme

Two useful things for VR

Post by bobshopsupreme »

I am currently working through the CAT ratings, doing everything in VR. It mostly works very well, especially with Avitab with the Navigraph linkage for charts etc. Sorry if this has come up before but didn't see it in the search.

There are two things that I have found are helpful for making VR flights a bit easier.

1. PlaneCommand (http://www.planecommand.com) - this is a voice recognition program that allows you to change aircraft settings with voice. You can use it for everything (gear/flaps/nav/coms/autopilot etc.). I use it very sparingly because I know I don't have a co-pilot in my Baron. But when trying to change the Baron's transponder with my left-hand Oculus controller while flying with my right hand on the CAT-7, it was a total mess because the knobs are too sensitive. In that circumstance, I find it's better to just say 'set transponder to xxxx' than flail around with the controller. In other words, it's my last resort when the VR controllers are making things much harder than in real life. The free version includes the transponder (which is the only thing that is making me swear at the moment) and some other things, and the pro version has loads of commands.

2. Visual reporting points for X-Plane GPS - https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... ed-states/

I was looking at the CAT-9 (Class B flyways), and I realised that I may not be able to see some of those reporting points like Rose Bowl depending on my scenery, visual settings etc. The visual reporting points (e.g VPLRB for Rose Bowl) are no longer in the Navigraph data (they had been but were reclassified and are now excluded), so some helpful chap has made a user.dat file with them all in. I tested it and I could find Rose Bowl, State College and I assume all the others are there.

Hope that is helpful to some.
FDXDave

Re: Two useful things for VR

Post by FDXDave »

Thanks