Problem with 122.2

aventura

Problem with 122.2

Post by aventura »

I love the line of sight communication update, but I had a hard time getting it to work.
I was on the ground at KCLM and I tried to contact Center on 122.2 to get clearance to KFHR for a long time without any response. Guard (121.5) was working fine, and I could hear myself on 123.45. I also tried 118.2 (Oakland departure), but again I didn't get any response.
I finally moved to a towered airport in ZLA (KSNA), and there I could communicate with clearance (the regular frequency) without problem.

I am using Xplane11 and the latest version of the pilotedge plugin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Marcus Becker

Re: Problem with 122.2

Post by Marcus Becker »

Did you have "NEWRM" in the remarks?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

122.20 should work on the ground with or without the beta radio model as long as you're not exceeding 35kts. I'll check it out later today.

Were you hearing the Western US controller at all? 118.20 is Whidbey Approach which is a military rapcon that we don't simulate (see the Western US page for details about that....it specifically mentions Whidbey). Not sure what "Oakland Departure" is, unless you're thinking of KOAK in Norcal, which would be Norcal Departure.
aventura

Post by aventura »

Yes, I had “NEWRM” in the remark. As I said, I could hear people on GUARD (121.5), but no controllers, even once in the air.
As for 118.2, I tried that because it is the departure frequency listed on the WATTR7 departure plate. I didn’t know it was a
military rapcon, actually, I just learned what a military rapcon is, I thought it was equivalent to NorCal departure :oops:
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Found the issue. It'll be fixed for tomorrow. It was a unique case that results for a special accommodation that we made for the non-standard CTAF that's used at nearby KFHR. That resulted in an additional, inoperative FSS transmitter being created in the area, which is the issue that you were running into.

Ironically, the freq that is published in the rating (125.10) works fine on the ground at KCLM even with the new radio model because the transmitter is in the San Juan Islands, over open water without much in the way of interfering terrain.