IFR departure questions

aventura

IFR departure questions

Post by aventura »

I have two questions that came up during a flight from KSBA to KOXR. I know I probably should have asked the controller, but his hands were quite full and didn't want to add confusion.

1) At clearance I was instructed to fly RWY heading up to 500 and then right turn to 120. But tower, when clearing for take off, said :"fly rwy heading". I assumed this new instruction voided the "at 500 feet right turn to 120", and I simply flew rwy heading waiting for additional instructions. Was that correct?

2) I filed my plan as P28A with equipment type A (transponder and DME, but no GPS). However, the controller gave me instructions to fly direct to intersection KWANG. I have foreflight with moving map, so I could comply, but I wonder whether I should have said 'unable'.

Thanks for helping.
Keith Smith

Re: IFR departure questions

Post by Keith Smith »

1. There are different initial instructions based on the runway that is used for departure at SBA, and even the direction of flight. The 500ft with a right turn to 120 is used for rwy 7 departures. Runway heading is used for rwy 25, or rwy 15L/R for east or south departures. So, it's likely that there was a runway change between the time your clearance was issued vs the runway in use at the time you were cleared for takeoff. Yes, the last assigned heading trumps any previous headings.

2. Foreflight is not an approved device for IFR navigation. The controller likely missed the fact that you were /A. You should have declined the direct.