Lost Comms

Tony Rogers

Lost Comms

Post by Tony Rogers »

Question:
I flew this afternoon, Mooney M20T from Blythe to Hemet-Ryan. At the fix HEMET, I called LA for descent but no response. I made several attempts. I finished my route and as I turned onto the IAF, LA comes up. Turns out, they been tryin to hail me also. I checked to make sure I wasn't logged off. On my laptop, I could track myself on the map, so it seems connection was still good. I was tempted to go 7600 but wasnt sure of what the issue was.
Should we sqwak 7600 if we lose comms on the network?
Tony
Andrew Doubleday

Re: Lost Comms

Post by Andrew Doubleday »

Hey Tony,

We're a bit dumbfounded by how exactly things got screwed up as well, but I did step up to relieve a controller briefly in which we switched out the frequencies for a brief period of time (a few seconds). I lost someone landing at SBA while that happened as well, so the problem *may* not have been on your end entirely.

You'll always be safe squawking 7600 on here if an issue like that should arise. Try to recycle your radio if this happens again though, maybe switch to a different frequency, then switch back and try again to see if that's it, then go into radio failure procedures.

-AJ
Andrew James Doubleday | aj@pilotedge.net
PilotEdge ATCS | University of North Dakota FAA CTI

Tony Rogers

Post by Tony Rogers »

Sounds like a good plan, Andrew. Thanks
Denny22

Post by Denny22 »

Same thing happened to me the other night, I then switched to Bakersfield Approach to try to reach them. The controller there told me that they had been trying to reach me and couldn't. He then asked me if I had switched over to Comm 2 to listen in on Atis info and I said yes. He informed me that there was an issue in FSX anyway of losing communication with controllers on Comm 1 if you listen in on Comm 2. So he asked me for now to contact App/Dep when needing to listen in on Atis info and do it on Comm 1 until they can get the problem fixed. He did not think it was a problem in Xplane!

Hope this helps!
Denny
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Hi Denny,

That controller was me. What I summarized was this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=789