Concerns about attitudes from controllers.

MattM1121

Concerns about attitudes from controllers.

Post by MattM1121 »

Greetings,

I'm on my two week trail which ends this weekend. I'm wringing my hands due to the "Real Controllers" aspect of PilotEdge. I'm looking at and trying to find some practice time with the suggested VFR flight posted on PE. This really is the very last major piece to my Cockpit build in my basement.

I read a post on the Facebook PE page that I find condescending towards the clients (Also known as "Paying Customers") about communication and the phraseology that some pilots use.

Perhaps I'm a little more sensitive to this since it's my first encounter with any type of service like PilotEdge, and feel a bit taken aback. I actually had every intention of subscribing to PE but now have doubts. Knowing that the controller on the other end is feeling intolerant towards me is concerning.

I'm curious to know what other clients of PE think about this. Would you consider this condescending and bit harsh towards PE clients?

https://www.facebook.com/pilotedgeATC/p ... =3&theater
Keith Smith

Re: Concerns about attitudes from controllers.

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Matt,

Take some time to review the Instagram and Facebook pages, you'll see a high volume of helpful posts with radio tips, IFR procedures and more. We have a long, long history of providing high quality information to the sim community. This last post was a little bit tongue-in-cheek and is a playful reminder to pilots to trim their transmissions down to the bare minimum, removing words such as "with you," and "this is."

The intention was to remind pilots or make them aware of it (if they weren't already). With that in mind, I would not take it quite so seriously and enjoy the humorous aspect of it. I thought the photoshop work that Kevin did was brilliant on that picture.

People use PE to practice their radio skills. Most of them are eager to learn tips and tricks for being more efficient and professional in their communication. While the delivery of this message was done in a light hearted way, there was a real radio tip behind it. Hopefully that is more clear now.

If your confidence about using the system can be shaken to the point of considering pulling the plug on your first flight, then truthfully, I'm concerned that you might be overly sensitive when you start operations on the network. You may need to adjust your expectations as to what the experience of flying online will be. Yes, customers pay for the service, however, what we offer is as realistic a simulation of the National Airspace System as we can with the resources and technology that we have. If pilots make mistakes, they'll be told about them.

If you are well-prepared for your flight using the myriad training resources that we offer (CAT Ratings, Workshops, VFR Communications manual, etc), then it's hard not to be successful. However, if you forgo all of that, show up on a runway at a towered airport and just wing it....the response will be swift, and firm, as it should be.

As long as you're prepared for the operation you're about to undertake, as you would need to be in real life, then it should all go swimmingly.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Matt, another thing to consider...it's 2019, marketing and communications have changed over the years. We are a small company in a very niche space. We've made a conscious decision to be less formal in our communication. The posts are a blend of story-telling, marketing and education, sometimes with a light-hearted delivery. This is not entirely uncommon...plenty of companies take a similar approach.

The engagement numbers on that post are the highest we've ever had afaik. It's been shared with postive comments, people's reactions have been positive, and the discussion has all been positive/productive. So, I would say that the majority of the community do not find it to be condescending.
MattM1121

Post by MattM1121 »

Keith Smith wrote: People use PE to practice their radio skills. Most of them are eager to learn tips and tricks for being more efficient and professional in their communication. While the delivery of this message was done in a light hearted way, there was a real radio tip behind it. Hopefully that is more clear now.
Of course. With no experience under my belt my knee-jerk reaction was unfounded. That's pretty clear to me now. I'm not sure why my first impression was negative. I suspect if it was something about IT - my profession - I'd have taken it quite differently. No doubt.
Keith Smith wrote: If your confidence about using the system can be shaken to the point of considering pulling the plug on your first flight, then truthfully, I'm concerned that you might be overly sensitive when you start operations on the network. You may need to adjust your expectations as to what the experience of flying online will be.
Fair enough.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I suspect if it was something about IT - my profession - I'd have taken it quite differently. No doubt.
I see where you're coming from and you make a good point. It's easy for us to see the humor because we're used to the world of ATC.
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

Matt,

I'm a PE client and former controller from the real world (LAX, JFK and TUS Towers). If you're looking for realism, PE is the place to be and I suggest you stick with it to enhance your NAS (National Airspace System) familiarity and standard radio skills. In the real world, controllers are people too; meaning there are some variables within the framework of standard phraseology and techniques. I too experience some ATC techniques I would not agree with but that's consistent with real world.

Professionalism is the ticket in the world and is consistently maintained in PE. My only wish to enhance the experience is - more traffic and more controllers!

I hope this helps.

Upward & Onward.
ArrowDriver

Post by ArrowDriver »

I have only been on PE for two weeks and yes I have heard interesting exchanges between controllers and pilots. My original thought was (and continues to be) 'yes, and that's what you can expect in the real world, too, when you do 'x' '. If your feelings are getting hurt here then I wish you the best when a controller "hands it to you" out there. I actually thought that a terse controller on PE was doing so to prepare one for the real world and I thought it was pretty cool.