Comms check to determine listening ability.

MattM1121

Comms check to determine listening ability.

Post by MattM1121 »

Greetings,

I'm a completely deaf person. (I kid you not. 100% deaf.) However since October 2018 I've received Cochlear Implants in both ears. Latest tests show that I regained about 89% recognition rate for speech. (Technology is amazing) I of course have some difficulties understanding people in certain situations.

Is it possible to log into PE and do some commo checks? I'd like to try and determine how good or how bad things might be for me before I start my adventure. This is one of the reasons I'm wringing my hands about trying PE.

I appreciate any feedback about this.

Thanks,
-Matt
Kevin_atc

Re: Comms check to determine listening ability.

Post by Kevin_atc »

Try listening to the audio recordings. http://www.pilotedge.net/audio

Just choose any file and start listening. Congrats on the medical advancements! That must be very exciting.

Edit: one thing to keep in mind- if you ever connect to the real network, the audio won’t sound as clear as those recordings due to realistic effects that make the radio sound just like the real thing (it distorts the quality a bit). Not sure if that will be an issue for you or not, but start with the crystal clear audio recordings from the link above and if you can hear that, give the free trial a shot.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Re: Comms check to determine listening ability.

Post by Keith Smith »

The cochlear implant videos get me everytime on YT. I'm so happy for you.

Start with the audio recordings, then if that goes well, try listening in live from the sim (which adds VHF modulation). The clean audio is quite different from the modulated audio, so it's worth checking both. The former is more convenient to check than the latter, so I'd start there, just as Kevin suggested.