Question - SID - From Uncontrolled Airport

Rick Stratman

Question - SID - From Uncontrolled Airport

Post by Rick Stratman »

Hello

I have a question about departing from a PE "Uncontrolled:" Airport - KBJC - EEONS SIX - was in the Departure Clearance, with an initial climb cleared to FL230 - Departure from RY12L

The SID indicates a heading would be provided on departure, but since KBJC is considered Uncontrolled no heading is provided as indicated by the SID.

The question would be if you are given a initial altitude that would normally take your climb through a portion the Class B shelf or shelves, would it be ok to enter the Class B or is it necessary to stay below the Class B shelf and when clear do the climb up the initial Altitude Assigned.

Or should I request a climb clearance through the Class B?

Or perform downwind departure, when as before when clear of the Class B shelf perform climb to initial Altitude?

Then initiate initial ATC contact?

Thanks

Rick S.
Keith Smith

Re: Question - SID - From Uncontrolled Airport

Post by Keith Smith »

This is an artifact of a towered airport being considered non-towered on the network. Our normal SOP is to NOT issue SIDs from non-towered airports in the Western US as we don't have any procedures for those fields. My guess is that you filed the SID and the controller simply issued it as filed without reviewing it first. Had they seen that there was a heading assignment required, they wouldn't have issued it as we don't have the required information to know what headings are acceptable from that field.

On your end, I would've questioned the controller and requested a heading before accepting the IFR release as you didn't have the necessary info to fly the SID correctly. They would've then realized the issue, cancelled the SID and issued alternate instructions.

All of this is an edge case, as I said, as a result of filing a SID that is normally handled by the tower, yet we are treating it as non-towered. It's one of the compromises of the WUS and requires pilots to be aware of what they're filing and accepting.

All of the questions regarding a downwind departure and Bravo airspace aren't relevant to the scenario...it's an IFR departure. The Bravo isn't a factor, you're operating with a clearance which covers your Bravo entry.