ATC voice compared to recordings

Vincent Meier

ATC voice compared to recordings

Post by Vincent Meier »

So, yesterday afternoon I did my milk run flight from KSNA to KPSP.

I logged on to PE and started planning the flight.

Over my headset i could hardly make out the controller - maybe 2-3 by 5. It was very modulated and difficult to understand. This is usually not the case with this controller, as he/she comes in quite clearly on all the other flights I have done recently. I asked "say again" on a couple of items to get clarification, but truly messed up and guessed when I was holding short at K for 20R. I "thought"(assumed) I heard "cleared for take off watch for wake turbulence, but was really instructed to continue to hold short while the wake turbulence subsided.

The moral for this one is to never assume the instruction if you cannot hear the controller clearly....always ask for clarification!.

The way the radios were, I should not have even attempted to fly, but in my enthusiasm to be back in the left seat - I continued.

Interestingly enough, when I listened back on the recording both myself and the controller(s) were as clear as a bell.

I am not sure if it was my end, the internet( I have a very speedy connection), the network, or some other anomaly, but if I cannot understand the controller next time I will disconnect and go buzz the Grand Canyon!!.

I am just happy to be back - my wife is a widow again!
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Keith Smith

Re: ATC voice compared to recordings

Post by Keith Smith »

Vince,

If it was VERY modulated, then chances are you have your xplane radio volume at 100% which is causing overmodulation of the audio library that we use. Try setting it to 50-60%.

Alternatively, if you're hearing a lot of static when you shouldn't be, then there's a good chance that you have a distant tower or approach freq on COM2 and COM2 is also active for receiving.

Between those two things, you should be able to get sorted out.

Welcome back, btw.
Vincent Meier

Re: ATC voice compared to recordings

Post by Vincent Meier »

Thanks Keith!

I will have a look tonight.
I am assuming that it is the X-Plane radio volume in Settings under the sound tab. I do believe I have that at 110%(stretch for a Spinal Tap reference)!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9F5fhJQo34 - start at the 1:20 mark
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG