CAT 6 Question

ArrowDriver

CAT 6 Question

Post by ArrowDriver »

I have been practicing the CAT 6 flight offline and something has come to mind. Since the landing instruction is usually to report right downwind for RWY30 and, given the direction of the approach to the airport, I'm not cool with crossing the departure end of RWY30 in order to get into the right hand traffic pattern. My preference would be to cross the runway midfield at pattern altitude, turn right for the downwind leg and then report my position as requested by the tower. Should I make the tower aware of this maneuver? I'm thinking not but I would love to hear from those in the know.

BONUS QUESTION: If I file a flight plan via PE before a VFR flight, do the controllers look to see if one is filed after initial contact by me?

Thanks!
Kevin_atc

Re: CAT 6 Question

Post by Kevin_atc »

I think you’re a bit confused by the published standard traffic patterns vs what ATC does. This is a prime example of why practicing offline without ATC isn’t always very beneficial. Just because the sectional shows right traffic for runway 30 doesn’t mean that’s what ATC will assign you. It’s a dynamic environment and you need to be ready for anything. I would say it’s unlikely you would be assigned right downwind for 30 if coming from the west. If you were, Tower would probably tell you how and where to cross over midfield.

If you fail a rating, you fail a rating. It’s no big deal- just hop in the plane and give it a try.

Regarding VFR flight plans, ATC does not see them. However, through the magic of flight simulation, PilotEdge controllers have the ability to access them if they wish.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
ArrowDriver

Post by ArrowDriver »

Thanks, Kevin. I was hoping it would be you to reply to my question. The practice flight was more about applying predictable handling the Arrow III in a traffic pattern environment and getting a feel for when I should do what; the desired result being good cohesion between handling the aircraft effectively while talking to controllers and/or executing their directions, etc.

I used the The CAT 6 flight as a means to an end when the observation of my location relative to the field prompted the question in my mind. I am aware that I could be assigned any runway but after observing CAT 6 flights on YouTube and actually watching one on the live map last night while listening to the comms, every flight so far into MHV has been assigned RWY 30 for landing so, I hadda ask. :-)

Thanks again!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The left/right traffic that's published in the Chart Supplement is only binding when the tower is closed. When the tower is operating, the there's a FAR which states that you must comply with ATC instructions, so if ATC issues an instruction to enter the pattern on a specific leg, that's what you will need to do. If the pattern entry makes no sense at all, then by all means, restate your position and ask the to verify the pattern entry.

There is a fair amount of terrain to the west of rwy 30, that's why it's right traffic for 30. By asking you to enter the traffic pattern on the right downwind, that will have you maneuver to the north side of the field while still outside of the traffic pattern (to facilitiate to right downwind entry), negating any terrain issues associated with the midfield crossing. You're calling from outside of the Delta airspace to begin with, so there is plenty of time to cut through the departure corridor. Given that all of the traffic in the pattern will be sequenced by the tower, you can assume that you won't be hit by someone on the crosswind as you enter on a square downwind (although a 45 entry would remove that probability even more).

I know where you're coming from, midfield crossings to enter the other side can and are used in the real world (I used to get them all the time at SQL, right traffic for rwy 30 when arriving from the west), however, if the controller doesn't assign it, there are other options which can be used. Again, feel free to ask for the midfield crossing if the terrain permits (I haven't flown into MHV in a long time, so I don't recall how much of an issue the terrain is), but if they don't have time for the exchange (ZLA is frequently busy), then you have a solution that already works.