AV Geek ATC IRL

FDXDave

AV Geek ATC IRL

Post by FDXDave »

Most of you probably watch Sam Chui's You Tube Ch. He primarily does Aircraft reviews but his last upload covered one of the busiest airports in the world and he interviewed their ATC staff. Really gave a good look of behind the scenes ATC from Clearance to Centers. I found it fascinating on how streamlined and digital things are these days. One thing I took note of is their Radar screens displayed the actual aircraft's Altitude which is set in the aircraft MCP. Meaning, ATC knows what the pilot dialed into their autopilot and the aircrafts data including actual IAS is send to ATC. It's really cool. I knew ATC can see current altitude and obviously has noted the instructed altitude, but to see what the pilot actually sets in the auto pilot is really cool.

Dave,

https://youtu.be/bKp_0268BVQ
Kevin_atc

Re: AV Geek ATC IRL

Post by Kevin_atc »

It's really important to note that this is not the United States and the equipment, technology and workings of US ATC are much different than what you see here (including what you mentioned about the MCP altitude).
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
FDXDave

Re: AV Geek ATC IRL

Post by FDXDave »

Correct it's Amsterdam. I guess its not suprising a major world hub like that would have the latest and greatest.