Non Towered IFR Void Time

cgbke

Non Towered IFR Void Time

Post by cgbke »

Hi everyone, I was departing a non towered airfield on PE and received a clearance void time of 2215z. I departed at 2208z and flew an obstacle departure. I contacted departure ZLC as soon as practical, which was 2216z (MEA of 9k btw), and was told I had exceeded my clearance void time and search and rescue had been activated. I was then recleared to my destination and there was no issue.
It is my understanding that a void time is the time you must depart by, and then if atc does not hear from you within 30 min after that void time search and rescue will be activated. Does that sound correct?
At our local airfield the obstacle departure takes about 20 minutes in small GA aircraft to reach the MEA from holding short of the runway. And there is no radio communication until around 8 or 9k msl.

Trying to learn something new every day.
Marcus Becker

Re: Non Towered IFR Void Time

Post by Marcus Becker »

Were you given a time to call with intentions if you weren't off by your void time? I would assume that if you hadn't contacted ATC by that time then the SAR service could be activated.

Maybe to prevent the scenario either ask for a longer void time if you don't think it may be sufficient?

According to the AIM 5-2-7 a.1 "…ATC will normally advise the pilot of the time allotted to notify ATC that the aircraft did not depart prior to the clearance void time. This time cannot exceed 30 minutes. Failure of an aircraft to contact ATC within 30 minutes after the clearance void time will result in the aircraft being considered overdue and search and rescue procedures initiated."

So what isn't clear to me is that although the "If you can't depart by your void time" can't exceed 30 minutes, can SAR be activated at the time provided to contact with intentions in not done so? I would think the time provided would be the time it's activated. If a time isn't provided then it's 30 minutes.
cgbke

Post by cgbke »

Yes I was but I think the phraseology was “IF NOT OFF by void time call no later than (specified time) with intentions. Since I had departed prior to the void time I thought I could contact them at my earliest convenience on the departure. It’s was no big deal to me I’m just trying to understand what was expected. I should probably contact the departure frequency earlier (or ask for more time) than I would IRL since PE can hear me down there anyway? I’m guessing I wouldn’t get radar services until the MEA though.
jx_

Post by jx_ »

you are correct. SAR wouldn't be called until you are 30 minutes overdue. The release guarantees IFR separation for 5-10 minutes depending on your departure divergence. If you depart outside of the window you're not guaranteed separation. You are expected to contact radar "as soon as practical", but there is no deadline.

Additionally, your IFR should not have been canceled and reissued.

Sorry for the confusion, we try our best to get these things right .
cgbke

Post by cgbke »

No problem at all! I am amazed at the level of competence and professionalism the PE controllers provide! Especially considering the wide variation in airspace, airfields, and network users. I think it is an excellent training tool. Keep up the good work!