KBFL ILS Rwy 30R Arrival

Dahabra

KBFL ILS Rwy 30R Arrival

Post by Dahabra »

oHello

Today 13th April 0530 Zulu approximately somehow I had a mix up with the ATC controller. My call sign was RJA267 flight from KWHP to KBFL.

I requested clarification from ATC ( Bakersfield Approach ) with regard to the hold on the approach for 0LIS 30R. I was informed it had to be flown. I was at 5000 feet approaching FASTO.

I did not receive any instructions approaching FASTO so as per my filed plan at FASTO I turned left at JUBEX. The controller was busy and overwhelmed. So at Jubex, I entered into a hold and decent to 2500 feet as per the Approach plate instructions.

Controler came back and was upset that I entered the hold and informed me I should not have executed the approach.

I asked for clarification but my connection to Pilotedge got disconnected and I lost communication.

So my question was I supposed to fly straight past FASTO and not turn left and wait for instructions?

Regards,
Kevin_atc

Re: KBFL ILS Rwy 30R Arrival

Post by Kevin_atc »

You mentioned the controller was busy. Did you never receive an approach clearance? If you didn’t get cleared for the approach, you shouldn’t have descended. Remember that your clearance limit is the airport so if at any point you reach the end of your route or the end of a STAR without further instructions, you shall proceed directly to the airport.

As for the hold at JUPEX, you should not fly that coming from that angle as you’re already well established and straight in. That hold-in-lieu-of would only be flown if you were beginning the approach at EHF or JUPEX.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Dahabra

Post by Dahabra »

Thank you Kevin.

No clearance for the ILS approach or to join Localiser was given by ATC controller as I said he was busy and I was approaching FASTO.

You are saying I should have turned towards the airport but maintained 5000 ft which was my last assigned altitude?

Hypothetically if I reached the airport and still no ATC instruction given what action should be taken then?
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Dahabra wrote:Thank you Kevin.

No clearance for the ILS approach or to join Localiser was given by ATC controller as I said he was busy and I was approaching FASTO.

You are saying I should have turned towards the airport but maintained 5000 ft which was my last assigned altitude?

Hypothetically if I reached the airport and still no ATC instruction given what action should be taken then?
yes, maintain your last assigned altitude and proceed to the airport (your clearance limit as defined by the “cleared to Bakersfield airport” in your IFR clearance). At that point you would really want to try to get a word in with ATC to advise them you are approaching your clearance limit. If you still can’t, you would just hold over KBFL until you can get a word in. The unfortunate part is that an airport usually doesn’t have a published hold so you’d just need to execute a standard hold on your inbound course until you can ask ATC for something else.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Dahabra

Post by Dahabra »

Thank you very much for your clarification. Truly appreciated.

I am trying to seek challenging flights to educate myself about all possible IFR scenarios, whether they involve complicated SIDs, departure procedures or arrival procedures and STARS. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have already completed all the CAT and I ratings on Pilotedge.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

If you have the ZLA+WUS subscription package, you can try the Sky-High ratings. There are some challenges there. https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/skyhigh ... -scenarios
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing