Sim Disconnected - Any way to Resume?

Glastarmike

Sim Disconnected - Any way to Resume?

Post by Glastarmike »

I'm fairly new to PilotEdge and suspect this has been addressed in a previous post, so sorry for the repeat...
On occasion my sim (X-plane 11) has crashed while I'm on an IFR flight. I've checked the log and the reason has no consistent cause: Plug-in, lost internet, general computer crash, etc. But I'm not looking for troubleshooting ideas, my question is once I reboot the sim, it there any proper etiquette or best process where I could connect back into the ATC/PilotEdge environment at about the same location/altitude/speed and resume the flight, or do I just need to consider that previous flight terminated (Call it Sim CFIT) and reload the airplane in a non-movement area at an airport and start over?

BTW: I've wondered if in-flight Pop-Up IFR clearance requests are permitted on PilotEdge. (Assuming I'm flying VFR in Class E airspace.) I thought this might be a work-around for the crashed sim situation.

In advance - thanks for any help or links to an existing thread I can read.
Mike
Kevin_atc

Re: Sim Disconnected - Any way to Resume?

Post by Kevin_atc »

Make sure you have your AI traffic turned off within XPlane settings. If you don’t know how to do that, check out the XPlane client installation video on the pilotedge YouTube account or website. AI traffic is a common cause of a crash. This setting will not affect the PE traffic that you see.

Pop up IFRs are just fine- If you can do it in the real world, you can do it on PE!
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Glastarmike

Post by Glastarmike »

Thanks for the tip on what may be the cause of the sim crashing - I'll check the AI settings in xPlane before my next session and make sure it is disabled.

Back to the question of if/when the sim either crashes or I lose connection to Pilotedge, is there a preferred method to "spawn" back in at about the same location, speed, direction where the sim crashed and resume the virtual flight from there? Or should that flight just be considered lost and start over?

The response that in-flight pop up IFR clearance requests are permissible makes me think I could connect to Pilotedge while in-flight assuming I was in Class E or G airspace and in VFR conditions. Further, I would not need to file an IFR flight plan before making the request. Is connecting to Pilotedge in-flight acceptable? I was of the understanding that, in all cases, the aircraft should be positioned in a non-movement area of an airport before connecting to Pilotedge.

Mike
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Popping up in Class E or G is ok. Just advise the controller that you are back.

Popping up on a rwy or taxiway is a different case.
Glastarmike

Post by Glastarmike »

Guys, Thanks for the quick replies and helpful comments.
Looking forward to my next sim flight.
Mike